Forum Rules / Code of Conduct

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by Jeff, Apr 1, 2006.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I can see how it could be abused. Also, you mention bullying. Yes, some members, or groups of, could use it to exclude someone they don't approve of without a valid reason.

2. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Erm, taking "reputation" from someone, simply because you don't like them is akin to bullying, in that you diminish him "in public", and in time the bloke/girl will be out and away.

Most likely, you were the one that took the latest point from Welly, and it certainly couldn't have been because it was off topic, and especially considering your remark, it's obvious it was because you are of the opinion that he's/we're whining. And we can't have anyone that just doesn't like being chosen as the one to pick on ...

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

It would take a group, as one person would not be able to noticably change the reputation points of another without appearing on my radar - note that no singe person has given Welly two reputation votes to date. Some have said it's too restrictive in not allowing you to up or down vote the same person without first giving reputation to 15 other people, but that was put in place just for this reason.

4. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Ok, I will bite the bullet, it seem I am not haunted by a group of people........ Thanks, I was gang thrashed by a group of people for 3 X a night when I was younger, that why the feeling just kept creeping up. Sorry on my part.Back on Prozac

Attached Files:

5. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Maybe the bottom line here is that it is an imperfect system, but none of us can think of a better one. These things happen (look at US politics :)) and we learn to deal with them and live within their often strange little vagaries.
    Steve "waxing lyrical"

6. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

I think that the system works quite well, seen as it is only for Jeff to be able to determine whether to take action on someone or not why should anyone be so concerned about their reputation, I am sure that poeple know who gives good advice as I am sure that they can all read, they would also know who to avoid without having to resort to looking at the reputation points.

7. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I have to say one thing about this system, and the "new" rules/code of conduct:

Although most people by now know my position on it, there is one good thing coming out of it.

All this discussion makes at least myself think about the hows and whys of interacting with people, what I don't like about too strict rules (they're not "too strict" around here), how egotistical some people are, and some are not. I like that - seeing both types of people coming out of hiding, to weigh their morals and arguments against eachother.

Even though things like this easily turns ugly, in some strange way I find it almost beautiful.

8. Wellydeckhand

No gravity in human nature? or it just me?

Yeh, when a person who dont know stare at you, you can evade but cant get the feeling why he stare? It is the clothes? Apearance? His movement or simply he is out of place............. But if a person is told hei ! dont do that because they feel uncomfortable, then it give a chance for the person to adjust.............. pure simple and civilized.:)

Attached Files:

9. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Definition - definition...

:p Hello...

Personally - I think you (the Jeff person..:p ) has built up a great site - maintaining same and perhaps now you are looking towards its own future - that is a bloody good thing - you offered up your creation to the public and now you must decide what public you want to focus on - again...

As with many companies and other that come to the point of internal question and review against their own growth - AND CONGRATULATIONS THAT YOU HAVE - BRILLIANT JOB - no pun intended - I think you need to RELAX and get yourself a comfortable chair in which to sit, drink, smoke (whatever) and observe your model which IS VERY MUCH 'floating upon the pond '- you have done a brilliant job - TAKE A VACATION MAN...:p

Hell - that is all I will say just now - surprise, surprise...

And cheers DanishBagger - you are plain correct - it is beautiful - it is what we fought for and believe in...

GREAT JOB - 'Jeff' - whoever the hell you are...;)

F'it - I think we need a 'pot' - the Jeff vacation pot - I think this ******* deserves a break and our money towards same - but if he pisses off - all hell may break loose on this site and I will see to it...:p

Jeff - how may we fund your vacation - SERIOUSLY...

I will not be getting same this year...

For that matter I want SD to explain 'vagaries'...:p for I think he is ducking behind a 'Vagarie' bush and thus missing out on my crazy assed open pin CO2 powered pink paint balls - burp...:p

I think what has begun here is a good 'begunning' (no pun 'gun' again) and same is an obvious effort to the public - but same can manipulate opinion thru bias and SD holds true here - there is no perfect model and yet same is worth further discussion as this site holds VERY strong and represents market share in its premise aganst a non government, a public, and non military or professional navy model...

Cripes - if you think about it - this 'Jeff' man deserves a GREAT BIG SLOBBERING HUG - good maintenance - good forethought - good 'room' for the men and women of the small and still private boat building industries...

I am so pathetic - I will pour my whiskey into a TEAM PLAYER mug - 'got to a handle on my drinking'...

CHEERS ALL ...

SH.

10. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Sean, I am curious can you tell me in what thread you got the bad reputation points?

I have not seen anything offensive in your posts, or really out of contest. Perhaps now we can get bad reputation points on a matter of opinion, or just because people doesn't like your smiling face, or by mistake :p

Humor me please, go to the user CP and tell me about it.

11. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

It was me

I gave him a bad rep because if he really thinks this forum is so great, and Jeff such a great person he should help the forum by posting usefull information. Not by sending Jeff on a vaction (which he deserves).

I remembered reading some posts by him that were not contributing to the quality of the forum (the point of "Forum Rules / Code of Conduct" thread is about improving quality). Can't remember the exact words i used in the comment with the rep.

Looked up some more posts by Sean, some were helpfull, so i will give him a positive rep. as soon as i am allowed again (have to spead some more).

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What brought all this on any way?.. Some one put the wrong thread in the wrong place?--Oh dear--Oopps sarcasm!! (is that allowed now). That will always happen. I think I can manage around that problem. New comers dont know. Bullying , slagging people off well thats a disucusion isnt it? Im a great believer in "if it iant broke dont fix it". This is one of the best well run forums I know of and Ive always thought that most participants were gentlemen like, But so what were all grown men arent we>
    It seems every day of my life I am being told of more rules.

13. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Nice to come forward. :)

I guess that you have misunderstood Sean:confused: , even if I agree that he has a “scattered focus”:D

I think that he was just talking about money, asking Jeff how the hell he can maintain this site running and suggesting that we will gladly contribute to the overall costs....and it is in this contest that he says :

“Jeff - how may we fund your vacation - SERIOUSLY...”

About the Jeff vacation, it looks like he has taken one.... about it, I have to say two things:

1- How well did this forum behave without any Jeff intervention (great forum, great people).

2 -I don’t know if Jeff vacation was accidental or intentional, any way I have to say that it is a lot more difficult to run things with very little intervention, providing greater freedom than ruling things with a lot of rules and little freedom. And this forum seems to be running smoothly and appears to be of good health.

A hell of a job, Jeff, even when taking vacations:p

14. Wellydeckhand

Yeh..... I dont see Jeff posting and giving insight to particular thread anymore, maybe REAL gold watch vacation or just mad at us? I missed him but I am straight ok.......... :)

WDH

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh hes there alright, he probably doesnt want to participate in this conversation any more , Hes probably thinking the same as me!!!!

< Understanding 'rep points' question. | Admin Help! >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.