Forum Reputation

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by Jeff, Apr 2, 2006.

1. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Yup, not to mention that he was the one that dived the quickest of all of us.

(not saying that Vega stood for all that, but you do get my point).

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

yup not saying names but what about the skin shot by someone ,,,nothing said, this rating system is ********

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

You can't please everyone all the time... I do respect your opinion though, even if not the way you've stated it.

4. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

So these were on topic?

:?: :?: :?:

5. longliner45

jeff I know you got your hands full ,Im not trying to make it difficult for you,but a blind man can see whats happening, thanks for your efforts,,,,longliner,

6. longliner45

perfect example; before I spoke up I had 14 points , but now only 8, and no explanation,,,,,,can someone lone me some points ?

7. longliner45

jeff? whats with that?

8. longliner45

happy Easter everyone ,love ya all,,,,,longliner

9. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Yup, you can have a couple of mine.

What is indeed not good about this, is that you, Jeff, argue that you can't see anything wrong with how the numbers are "dealt", so to speak, hence there can be no problem. Utter faith in a system is dangerous (well, in this case not "dangerous", but naïve), and to think that a system like this wont be misused to out certain members is even more so naïve.

If you really want to check out the dealt points, take a look at wally's and welly's bad ones. I mean, take a look at the posts they were given for. And show me that they haven't been targeted more often than other on here.

Oh, and while you're at it, you could just as well take a look at the posts that longliner got degraded on.

10. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

lol, longliner, give us all a little time to write ;)

11. Vega

Vega Senior Member

I did not say that I agree with this rating thing. As I have understood it is an experiment to be tested and evaluated. I have remained about a week without giving any ratings and then I decided that Jeff deserved that we all give it a try.
    I did not have rated previous posts and that one from Welly was just the first, (and the only one till now) that looked to me completely out of context and even in contradiction with the objective of the thread.
    I have given a lot of positive feedbacks and if there is something that pisses me off in this system (till now) is that there are people a lot more knowledgeable than me that have ratings lower than the one I got, like Brian Eilard, Mike Johns, Guillermo etc.. That does not make any sense. Perhaps with time things go right...or perhaps this rating thing doesn't work. Time will tell.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  12. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

It's far from perfect, but my hope is that it will have an overall positive effect. We will see. I think a large part of the problem right now is that it's so new that every single point makes a difference... hopefully once everyone reaches 50 or 100 reputation points, a few + or - points will be taken in stride -- no one will be banned or have any other negative impact from a couple points either way. The intention is that it will be a subtle way for people to point out posts which are going over the line or that are in bad form and that the overall score will only be a small tool to assist in my moderation duties. For example, if someone has a reputation of 1,000 meaning that a great many other forums have valued their content, I can give them more leaway than someone with a forum reputation of -50 meaning that a great many other members are finding this person's posts over the line as well.

13. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Jeff,

You said that if someone got low enough in points you would have to take action, hence a few of us would have been out the door, had there not been anybody to try and make sure that they/we weren't booted.

Now, in the post above, you're saying that since it is new, noone will get booted for a while, even if they catch a splendid round zero?

And, in the future, what will happen if someone goes to zero? For how long can they stay there before they're booted? How many weeks/how many posts after that?

And, catering the mediocre - the most popular - how will that not exclude someone who might actually give a lot to a forum, while not be the most popular. The truth is seldomly taken well, you know.

And, when someone joins this place, they will be in the same shyte position, what if they aren't popular instantly? That way they will go below zero in no time.

Plus, because everyone can see the reputation, how will you/it/the system take into account how people behave when they see how popular a choice (or a non-choice in this case) - people tend to dislike what is frowned upon by others, and they tend to like what the alpha-male/femal likes.

I can propably think of other questions, but this will have to do for now. :p

Andre

14. longliner45

lets look at the thread (were are the women) man it was a shark fest, only one got blamed, so I disagreed with vega ,,,,,then I was punished, . but look at gilly, no points . hell hes way smarter than me, he"ll be alright as long as he dont disagree with someone, man Im not the sharpest tool in the shead but Ill bet vega gave me a negative review because I pointed out the facts ,and like I said ..a blind man can see whats going on.

15. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Hmm, posts have been deleted.

Edit: And I now get the deleted posts as mails, haha

< How does one start a new " Poll" ? | Suggest adding Nautical & Naval History Forum >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.