Forum Reputation

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by Jeff, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Certainly if someone gives dangerous advice on the forum and other members know so, they will continue to be encouraged to post a reply to that effect and hopefully thanked for doing so. But there were other situations where a member just routinely posts off-topic or 'clown-ish' replies where the majority of the community wishes to discourage this - if you simply turn the thread into a discussion about the particular poster, you drift it further off-topic, so in that case the reputation system will hopefully be a somewhat helpful tool to keep things on topic and to give feedback without taking away from the main discussion at hand and without having to invest too much time to do so. My goal is for the reputation points to be just a small feature that can be helpful to posters to gauge how their posts are being recieved... I don't necessarily think anyone has to worry whether their reputation changes from 31 to 32 (or vice-versa.) I'll only be using the reputation points as moderator to gauge whether someone has a positive 500, 100 or negative 50 to determine how much latitude to give them when things are in a gray area. I have not seen evidence of ganging being a problem to date - I think the great majority of people on the forum here have a lot of integrity and will use the system responsibly to make the forum a better place.

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Still have my doubts, but hell I can live with it, if I can't I'll tell you and go - 'tis after all your cafe so you got a few more rights than most!

3. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Jeff:
    I tried to give Greenseas2 a positive 'reputation' for his interesting and helping contributions, but surprisingly his reputation came down from 18 to 13, instead of going up! :confused:

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Searching for all reputation given to username Greenseas2 only yeilds your positive reputation points so far which should have taken him from 10 (default) to 13... I don't see where the 18 might have come from :confused:

5. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Maybe I confused 18 and 10....:confused:
    Sorry

6. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

See an article in code of conduct can double post on stalker.

7. hansp77

hansp77

just a question,
    even though I do my best not to care about this whole rep thing,

when you press the User CP thing, what do the colors of the little badges infront of the the threads where reputation has been given mean. Green orange red etc..
    I am assuming that red means bad. This might then explain the fluctuation of my points.

Now I really don't care about this points thing, but,
    As I love a good constructive debate, and thus welcome good critiscism, I think that if someone wants to go to the trouble of posting a negative reputation, then they should also post a reason as to why.
    Seeing as though the comments seem to be untracable (am I wrong?), then there should be no reason other than laziness or just personal dislike for not posting a reason for a negative rep.

Here I am not asking for anyone who may or may not have given me a bad rep to "fess up"- I think the anonymity of the system is one of its benefits. I just think that if people are at all meant to try to change or reflect upon what they have said that has offended someone, then they need some sort of feedback rather than just positive or negative.

Now I am not accusing anyone of doing this to me.
    I don't even understand this system.
    I am not particularly against it, and have used it myself on a couple of occasions to show my appreciation of others posts, with comments.

But,
    with no gripes for the system,
    my main question remains,
    What do those colours mean?

P.S.
    Jeff.
    As I first tried to figure this out in the FAQ section, and couldn't seem to find anything on it, (and unless my male domestic blindness has now spread to the computer screen aswell)
    Maybe it would be a good idea to have a little paragraph explaining how this all works in there. (unless of course it is still on trial and this is why it is not there)
    And while I'm at it,

thank you for providing the space for us all to form and partake within this community. For me it has been a source of invaluable knowledge, advice, pleasure, amusment, freindship and on the other side ADDICTION.
    Much thanks, and I do hope- as I seem to remember you saying -that this can eventually pay off in the form of a book or something for you.
    Hans.

8. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Hey! I don't know what you are talking about.
    What colors? Are they beautiful ?:D
    How do you have a look at them? And of course, (I now even less than you) what is their meaning?

Edited:

Well I have found it! Interesting. Can we see all the data, or only the last ones?
    What means a Grey or bluish one?

9. hansp77

hansp77

Vega,
    If you go up to the top left hand corner of the page (this page or any boatdesign.net page) there should be a white heading saying 'User CP'. (next to FAQ, next to members list, next to calender, etc...)
    Press it.
    You should now see what posts people have given you reputation points for, good or bad.
    If yours is anything like mine,
    then all the colors of the rainbow (well not quite)
    Considering your rep of 44, you probably have a few more of one color than the other.
    Maybe this way we can figure out what it means...

Indeed, if you are a fan of little mysterious differential squares of color, then they are beautifull.
    If you are not a fan, then they just remain mysterious,
    same too with their meaning.

Hans.

10. Wellydeckhand

When we give a button 2 good point is awarded but if we press bad only 1 neg point is given....... JEFF is kind.......:)

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Previous Member

I am the cousin of welldeckhand, I think I use this instead of signing up again can or not? I am trying to learn the trade, Traditional way of making wooden boat.:) dont be offence by my intrution.

1 person likes this.
  12. kach22i

kach22i Architect

So we still have reputation points?

I could of swore that I read earlier they were going away.

Recount.:D

Raise your hand if you are sucking up to the moderator, Jeff has 121 points!

13. Wellydeckhand

He is a good moderator, the point is just a guide, he could have negative bottomless pit point if he is not professional........ fortunately so far so good;)

WDH

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well heres my bit if any one wants to listen to a guy with only a 12 rep. personally I cant describe the sillines of it all. If you must have it then I think that it should be that a points can be given but not taken away. It is ludicrous that any person can for any reason and even without giving any reduce anothers reputation. I had a point knocked off me last night,-I have no idea why, so I cant change what I have done because I dont know what I have done. I gave a proper input and tried to help a guy on transom design . I have been there done this and spent hours of time trying to solve this same problem, I gave my time and effort for free and got a point deducted for it.
    Well if that sounds to you like it will encourage me to try harder. I dont think so. What did I do?
    Rules Rules Rules. I left England because of people with clip boards telling you what to do. Hundreds of new rules every day are put onto this planet. Do you see anything getting better?

15. Wellydeckhand

dont worry, I had the same thing going on before, but it seem a point or 2 knock from your shoulder wont effect your routine forum activities, although I did not give you the neg point:)

< How does one start a new " Poll" ? | Suggest adding Nautical & Naval History Forum >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.