Forum new layout

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by RHP, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Even their own website notes this, as I have:

"...The fact that the Activity Report includes events does not mean that you have malware, or that you visited fraudulent websites. It does mean that some software or websites which you visited violated the security policy set by your protected website owners or by Trusteer. For example, software which tried to take a screenshot of your bank statement, or software which tried to read information that you were typing into your online banking website...."

Activity Report http://www.trusteer.com/support/activity-report

Thus what I find curious, is why 288 reports in 7 days...(and several this morning), whereas before website change next to none!

3. Boat Design Net Moderator

I have not used Trusteer Rapport before, but I'm downloading a copy of the software to give it a try and see if I can reproduce what you are seeing. Do you possibly have more than one AV or anti-keylogger running at the same time?

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

See, this is what I get in my email:

BDForum Quotes.jpg

Notice the nice contrast. Yet the above quote on the webpage/site...none!

I also miss the preview before posting too...

5. Boat Design Net Moderator

With GC updated to latest version 59.0.3071.104
    I installed
    Trusteer Rapport 1804.112
    I've logged in and out of the forum 6 times. I've then clicked on Full Report and it is not logging any anti-keylogging or other event with my first tests.

Attached Files:

6. Boat Design Net Moderator

Will see about adding a higher contrast style option where things are more clearly compartmentalized and distinguished. The intent of the current style was to emphasize the content of the posts themselves with less lines and boxes taking attention. Similar with the page numbers -- it's not really important to most how many pages a thread has whether it has 6 or 16 so that was de-emphasized as most will either read the thread from the start or go right to the end.

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Interesting.

My laptop and PC are identical...same programs same files everything. The only difference is that i use my PC everyday and my laptop when out of the office. My laptop doesn't exhibit the same behaviour...i get zero..like you just did.

Thus, even though there has been no change/difference to my PC...i now get many alerts where previously I did not. Odd..??

8. Boat Design Net Moderator

I've spent a couple additional hours now looking at the Trusteer Rapport software on the clean Windows 7 test install.

Trusteer Rapport adds an icon to the right of the URL bar in Chrome. If you click it you get an option to "Protect this Website"

rapport-1.jpg

When you click the Rapport button it then turns that Trusteer icon green.

rapport-2.jpg

Interestingly, once I did this and then logged in, Rapport logs a similar line to what you were/are seeing on the one computer.

I logged into the forum here and then to see if it was unique to the forum login, I added Gmail as a Rapport "protected" site the same way and logged into Gmail twice.

Then to test further I chose to "Protect" the Microsoft Account login page the same way and logged into a Microsoft account twice.

Both logged the same line when logging in to Microsoft and Gmail.

Interestingly, the Microsoft login only logged once per login on the Rapport report page but the Gmail login logged a total of 5 entries for 2 logins - I do not know why.

rapport-3.jpg

Because the Rapport program generates the same logged line for the Microsoft login page and the Gmail login page (as well as logging multiple log lines for gmail logins) as the forum login, I think this is only a verbose logging within Rapport (the above logged entries were on a clean windows 7 test machine). I believe the Trusteer Rapport log is actually indicating that for sites where the Rapport icon is clicked that it has encrypted the password from the keyboard input on your local machine before it's transmitted to the site to prevent keyloggers which may or may not be on your local machine, although the last line makes it sound ominous. And I do not know why some logins (including gmail in my test above) are logged more than once.

9. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Ditto...i've no idea why either.
    And Ive no idea why Rapport suddenly started telling i had 288 attempts/alerts whereas before - was fine!

Oh well....thanks for the research too.

Rapport is very handy though - i've been using it for about 8 years.

10. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Ad Hoc,
    Like you I'm finding certain aspects of the new website less user-friendly than the old website.

The preview option still is available, just not as easy to find. On the lower-right corner of the editing window there is a MORE OPTIONS button. The next window gives a PREVIEW button.

Moderator,
    I find it less efficient to have the time stamp for each post now at the bottom of each post, rather than in the header as it was before. Why not continue to have the meta-data all in the same location?

As Ad Hoc has mentioned, I wish there was a better visual boundary between two posts, and I preferred the greater contrast there use to be between the poster's text and a quote.

I also miss not having the names of the posters for each thread, and the number of posts for each poster. Previously this was available on the sub-forum index page.

I also would prefer that the DATE and TIME of the post was given, in addition to the day of the week, or "4 hours ago."

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  11. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

1) = Standard quote not changed.

2) = Quoted text made bold.

3) = Quoted text made bold + dark blue.

4) = Quoted text made bold + dark blue + size 5 (out of 1 to 6).

The poster who quotes has some options to enhance the readability of the quoted text...

I now usually choose to make the quoted text bold to enhance the readability of the quote, like is done in the above quote's line 2.

To make the quoted text bold is only a little effort, but IMHO it would be much better if the enhancement of the readability of the quoted text will get integrated into forum's software . . . :cool:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  12. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

At the left hand bottom corner of the page, in the blue bottom bar, there's a style choose button to select the style in which this site should be shown.

Standard the button says ‘‘Default style’’, and when clicked you have the option to change the style to ‘‘gray blue’’.

At first glance the ‘‘gray blue’’ style seems to look a bit better for me than the ‘‘Default style’’.

Good luck !

13. Boat Design Net Moderator

A consideration is whether quoted text is more important than the actual post, equally important, or less important than the post being made about the quote.

In some posts, a quote has been carefully chosen to include a critical idea that is being highlighted.

In other posts, the quoted information is integral to the reply but used to identify the source of the information and indicate it's credited to another.

And in other posts, a quote is simply used to identify the text which is being questioned, answered, or commented on from a previous post in the thread. So as you read the thread, the quote is actually a block of text out of a longer post that you've already just read a few posts up.

(The default quoted text font size has now been increased one point size from the default 9pt to 10pt now)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  14. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

It seems about 10-15% greater contrast...so marginally better. Thanks :cool:

Indeed...

A quote is merely that, a reference to a statement that has been made by a poster. Thus it must be clearly readable and from whom and when...especially since threads can go on ad infinitum with endless pages to wade through. And consequently if the thread is long and if a viewer has not read all the thread, reading the quote (which is now readable and being contrasted by colour, of sorts) prompts that viewer to search for it and their comments in its entirety; for further reading.

You are viewing quotes from a computer string reference language code point of view. That's like looking at chocolate as just sugar! (Granted if it's crappy Hershey's then yes..!!)

Also, I would have assumed in this upgrade to be able to write equations, like in Word. But again...still not.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
< Posting Images | Reputation points >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.