Relativity speaking

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by SamSam, Feb 21, 2015.

1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I saw a video the other day of a baise muets clerc terrorista islamique disproving Western science to his followers by stating that "if" the earth is really rotating Eastwards at 1000 mph, How can an airplane flying Eastward at less than 1000 mph make any headway?

I have to admit les ecrous engourdis has me wondering though, How does that work? How come a helicopter hovering for an hour doesn't end up 1000 miles to the West when it lands? Or if you throw a ball straight up in the air, it lands at your feet and not a few hundred feet to the West?

Is Jihad really the answer?

2. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Have you ever pondered that while wearing baggy clothes in close proximity to shelves full of easily transported and concealed merchandise will probably end up with that person being watched closely as a potential thief ... the same is not true if someone wears spandex ... well, "as a potential thief" ... not the being (covertly) watched closely ... or else trying their best not to look at all at the other extreme. ;)

3. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

But back to your observation: maybe he thinks the jet stream is standing still?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

They have to be wrong, since the Nazis proved in the early 30s that we live inside a hollow world.

5. Kailani

Kailani Senior Member

6. Poida

Poida Senior Member

That is how a pogo stick works. You jump up and down and the Earth moves underneath you.
    Poida

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

It is a good thing the atmosphere rotates at more or less the same rate as the solid Earth, or it would be terribly breezy.

8. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

During medieval times Islamic scientists were the best that Europe and Africa had to offer -- much more advanced than Christian scientists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_in_the_medieval_Islamic_world

It is a shame that as a culture they have regressed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_science

PS
    An interesting article about "What ISIS Really Wants". Scary!

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

9. Mr Efficiency

A top US military man says we don't understand the ISIL movement, and it's psychological underpinnings, and won't be able to be effective against it, till we do.

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Wow, it amazes me that something as simple as an elementary school education, has eluded your not particularly worldly cleric. Using his train of thought, if he was about to start a football game, he'd insure he stood sideways to the coin toss, so it wouldn't shoot back into his chest at 1040 MPH (at the equator of course), once it flipped into the air. I guess he only flips coins when standing on one of the poles?

Naturally, this speed changes, depending on what latitude you live, so for me the earth is lumbering along at only 880 MPH, but your worldly one has forgotten we're all also traveling around the sun at about 66,600 MPH, so centrifugal force should be tossing all of us on our asses or maybe into space and making riding in a convertible quite impractical, without your lips buzzing from the violence of it all. I hope he continues with his "enlightenment" of the world, as this could be the best thing to happen to his mantra.

The military does understand the reality of the ISIL movement, but the politicians and regular people don't, which is the real problem. It's a battle, within that community that has raged for centuries. Coupled with the simple fact, that every one of these countries have continued to strive for an impossible to secure state and it's pretty obvious what's coming and what needs to be done. It's been done before with secular societies and there's really only one effective method, which we've also performed previously with success, though in recent decades failed miserably trying new approaches. The cleric eluded to above, is a classic example of the problem and the cure.

11. Mr Efficiency

I have never heard people speak with such derision of an "enemy", as they speak of ISIL, no doubt their literal cut-throat tactics is having that effect.

12. PAR

WWII was quite harsh in this country toward both major combatants, enough to make ISIL proud. Once the Bataan march and NAZI extermination camps where realized, the banter went off the deep end. I don't think anything is worse, though the ability to convey images and content is far better now, which might make it seem like it's worse.

13. Mr Efficiency

Oh yes, it is the visual effect of those kneeling people being stood over by knife-wielding killers, that raises the ire, a picture is worth a thousand words. What strikes me is the bravery of the victims, astounding really.

14. PAR

Not me, they'd have to drag my nearly dead and barely breathing body out there, to cut my throat. Hell, they'd have to dress me too, because I wouldn't put on the jump suit - just doesn't go with my eyes.

15. Mr Efficiency

Don't understand it, they must be sedated or drugged, just look like lambs to the slaughter.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.