Formula to calc HP requirements of pontoon

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by rduval, Sep 29, 2005.

1. rduval

rduval New Member

Hi:

I'm a layman and have been tearing my hair out with various formulas...

Can someone either point me to some formulas or software or tell me the HP required to propel a vessel on a pair 40ft x 2ft diameter round pontoons (50% submerged) at hull speed, 10 knots, 15, knots, 20 & 25 (I know there's a lot of factors but just approximately)?

I have a 40ft houseboat that does 5.5kn with a 120hp engine. I want to get more speed but I'm knot sure how much HP I will ahve to throw at it to achieve reasonable increases.

Thanks much in advance for any help

Rick

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

HP with respect to speed is exponential, if nothing else changes. Twice the Speed requires 4 times the power. A 50% increase requires 1.5 squared or 2 1/4 the power etc.
    Hope this helps, Jango

3. george allard

george allard Junior Member

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

HP = volume of the pontoons in cubic feet X the pontoon length in feet / pontoon diameter in inches

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.