Navetta?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by MiaLitla, Dec 17, 2010.

1. MiaLitla

MiaLitla New Member

I was wondering if anyone could help me... My final project at my university is regarding yacht design and in the first stage hand in, which is due soon, i have to be able to answer the questions "what is a navetta?" and "why a navetta?" as in why would you choose a navetta over other types of yachts such as explorers or flying bridge... The main characteristics, pros and cons and so on...

I have a really hard time finding information, so i decided that it would hurt asking around here.

Thank you in advance :)

ML

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I'm wondering how do you know you will have to answer those precize questions? I understand that you have not been given any info about that type of yachts during your studies - so why would the examiner ask you questions about a subject not covered by the program of studies? :confused:

Anyways, as far as I know (so don't take it for granted), "navetta" is an italian term typically used for fast displacement (or semi-displacement) motor yachts, 18 to 30 meters long with two or more decks (a main deck and a lower or berth deck), raised pilothouse and separate crew quarters in the forward part of the lower deck. And many of them do have a flying bridge, so I don't quite understand the distinction in the third question.

They are (or should be) seagoing vessels, not marina queens. In fact, their name means "piccola nave" (small ship), which alludes to both their seakeeping behaviour and their looks.
    They must have been considered kind of megayachts of the past times. Nowadays they are just - navettas. ;)

A navetta of the 50's:
    [​IMG]

Navettas of the 60-70's:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

A few examples of modern navettas:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You fell for it Daiquiri, his assignment is now complete as soon as he cuts and pastes your reply. This time of year, before the holiday break and in the spring before final exams a flood of this sort of seemly innocent questions turn up.

4. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Why bother us? Just Google it ...

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Daiquiris kind response informs others as well as the student. Before this, I did not know what a Navetta is and now I do.

6. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

As the boats become more modern, the angle of the stem seems to rake back further and further.
    Why is this so?

7. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

But on sailboats the stem becomes more vertical.

I know their are "technical reasons" for each but I still supect much of it is fashion.

8. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

What are these technical reasons?

9. MiaLitla

MiaLitla New Member

Thank you for your answers:)

To answer your question daiquiri, i am studying interior design, and our final project is yacht design. The yacht we are working on is a 30m Navetta. The teacher does not have normal lectures, feeding us information. But he told us questions that we are supposed to have answered in our presentation.

Now we are doing Research and analysis and that hand in is due soon, but we have a hard time finding general information about navetta boats.

And for the first time, google hasnt been really helpful, thats why i came here, didnt mean to bother anyone:)

10. daiquiri

Mia, the english-language equivalent for navetta is "passagemaker".
    If you do a new search with that word, I'm sure you'll be able to find a lots more info, even in this forum. ;)

For example, you could take a look at this brief intro to passagemakers by Michael Kasten: http://www.kastenmarine.com/ideal_passagemaker.htm

Cheers

11. MiaLitla

MiaLitla New Member

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! :*

12. daiquiri

You're welcome. Good luck with your search and with your university project! ;)

13. daiquiri

Nice question, Leo. Perhaps a new thread would be necessary to discuss that one? We've had a similar one: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/axe-bow-concept-29528.html , but it didn't lead us to any significant conclusion regarding the usefulness of vertical or axe bows.

14. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

"Navetta" in Finnish means cowhouse...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.