Formula 40 singlehanded trimaran build log

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I don't like to post in the thread unless I have something to share. This has been a long term project and only moved ahead in fits and starts. Securing a rig and sails makes platform construction feasible. I didn't want to sink lots of money into building the boat if I couldn't afford a decent rig.

The goal is to have the boat ready for the Melbourne Osaka race in 2018 but if not ready at that point there are plenty of other shorthanded and solo races I'd like to compete in. Kurt is really a wonderful designer who has helped me a lot along the way and shaped the project into something that is achievable and affordable.

2. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

Kurt Hughes trimarans for living...

Sure.... understand completly. I suppose "home building projects" of that complexity (3 hulls) need in average something between 7-10 years... so long does not want destroy private live, relationship, family completly. :)

And yes... I like Kurt a lot, too... met him on Facebook first... as I love the beautiful lines of his Trimarans... really eye catchers.

But I suppose I cant afford what I am looking for... a Trimaran for Living + working... so it should be a 50-60 Footer realistically. :)

E.g. Kurt's 63 Footer he designed... and being built two times. More details here

[​IMG]

Good luck for your project !

P.S.: If you find time, it would be helpfully for others to do little bit documentation, e.g. as done in Netherlands for building there a Farrier F-39. Excellent docu.
    [​IMG]

The FRAM will become a beautiful boat... here some snaps after the infusion building the hull...
    [​IMG]

All going very professionally as documented with the "Rudder construction".

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I put together a couple of rough rolling mast cradles to support the spar when it arrives on the mast trailer tomorrow afternoon. I have a forklift which I've hired in for some work on my roller door which will be perfect for lifting into position on the cradles and then lifting up to the underside of my factories roof where we will hang it from the "C" beams till needed. Plenty of safety ties by the way to hold it up there.

Attached Files:

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Rig

Corley, is the "Matchless" rig carbon?

5. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

For Trimarans some (experts) say: "The mast is the engine. And the most worthfully part to invest most money." :)

Maybe its right. To keep it in that picture, then "the sails might be the the wheels/tires" :)

So with curiousity waiting for some pics and specifications. Good luck for the transportation.

P.S.: Maybe Corley will shock us with an 80 foot mast to overpower his F40 heavily. hehe... The table is from the book "The Elements of Naval Architecture, Or A Practical Treatise on Ship-building", published 1764. :)

Attached Files:

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

No it's not carbon, I've found even broken carbon spars in need of extensive repairs are well out of my budget and getting a square top main, jib and screecher in good condition sweetens the deal. Where I'm located a 18m mast on a light platform is plenty of power, almost too much at times.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks, Corley-hope it works well for you.....

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

It should work ok, the moment of inertia is similar to the original section on the prototype and with a bit of a recut the sails should do the job.

9. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

sail trimm on overpowered boats... :)

A 59 foot mast is OK for a F40. Its safely but still sportive.

I'd sail as cruising-racing version of such a boat with max. 60 foot.

Otherwise it becomes lots of "fitness training".... and I would think seriously about installing a bike for the winches. *joking*
    [​IMG]

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

After a hell of a lot of hard work and the help of my dad Graeme and good mate Murray I managed to fork, drag, hoist and strap the mast onto the ceiling beams of my small factory. It was collected from a storage yard at Toronto by Lake Macquarie stripped by the team at Whale Spars and transported down with a batch of spars that were being anodized in Altona. I had to cut a hole in the front of my factory's fascia to allow room to get the 19metre spar in. We did manage to fit it inside with room to spare although I think I'll get a second forklift next time to make it a bit easier.

A few observations the spar has really good gear on it with lewmar rope clutches and Anderson winches. The mast base and crane are beautifully fabricated with very good welding evident throughout. The section is suitable for a boat with a fair bit of righting moment. The deal included a good main and boom plus 2 jibs a flat cut screecher and a masthead spinnaker. There is a halyard mount for a fractional kite as well.

Attached Files:

11. hump101

hump101 Senior Member

Nice. Did you get a chance to weigh it, or estimate the weight? Mine (18.5m) is 125kg with spreaders, halyards, and shrouds, just liftable by two people but a real struggle. Trouble is my (much repaired) boom weighs nearly as much!

12. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The prototype "Gecko" bare mast section weighed about 165kg this one weighs about 220kg with some fittings like the step and masthead crane, halyard winches and rope clutches fitted. I think we will be close to target weight. It's slightly longer than the rig in the plans at 19.1 metres. The wide platform and high righting moment will give the rig a beating so it's nice to have some safety margin even with the slight weight penalty. The mast section size is 250mm x 150mm.

13. hump101

hump101 Senior Member

You've got 50% more righting moment, probably nearer to 100% if you end up significantly above the 1800kg weight, so probably about right, though it adds to my suspicions that my mast section is a little light for offshore.

14. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

The "engine" arrived.... :) Congrats !

You might strip a neon yellow-red warning flag on the top... coming along a big truck over night might oversee this "asparagus". (*knocking on wood* hopefully never happens)

Often truck drivers miscalculate their maximum height of load...
    [​IMG]

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-----------------------------
    Way to go, Corley!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.