Formula 40 catamaran class rules

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Alik, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Will check; not performed rig cals yet.

2. SerjKu

SerjKu Junior Member

Was interested in this question but has found nothing. All data on this class at me from magazine "КиЯ" №127-128 ;), article Perestjukov. The big request if that is found out to share the information.
    I think it is necessary to search at designers.

I am sorry for bad English.

3. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

Great looking boat Alik--
    Mainsheet load on the 40 I've played with was about 5500lbs before lift off.
    I like the arrangement you have made for the forestay--intelligent design.
    Looks like FUN.

4. luff tension

luff tension Junior Member

The F40 rule specified a maximum upwind sail area (80sqm I think) and a maximum downwind sail area (main, jib and gennaker 160sqm) to maximise both the storm job size was used.

5. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

There were many variations, for example:
    Main Genoa Spi Designer type
    m2 m2 m2
    Fleury Michon 63.8 24.3 115 Irens cat
    Idenek 65.2 18.1 112 Irens cat
    Jet 40 74 9.4 97.2 Ollier cat
    Smyth Team 75.2 8 97.2 Smyth cat
    Promocean 58 30.8 108 Thompson tri foiler

6. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

G'day 'Alik'. "in front of traveller" YES YES The way to go - 20 out-of 10 for that design improvement. "more comfortable" & stops the mainsheet fouling the 'steering cross-bar'. Well thought out & IT'LL sure work well !!!

Now if you 'canted' the hulls out at 7 degrees +/- 2 degrees - then you'd have a - lighter, stiffer (both at rest & while sailing) & easily carry 15% more sail area in all wind/weather/sea conditions. It's been proven to work - very effectively - like on 'Sundancer' many years ago - but nobody picked it up.

Great boat - sure wish I was over there playing with you guys. Looks a real blast. Ciao, james

7. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Gary

I think the Irens listed were first generation. That's why the genoas are big. The foiler was an embarassment, couldn't get out of its own way. Not much quicker than our 24ft Strider when we raced against it

I first used a tiller bar in front of the mainsheet track on my Banshee design. On a big mainsail boat like the F40 you need more than a 8:1 mainsheet so it will be lead forward, split and back to the cockpit (one reason for the AC solid wings is to lower the mainsheet loads)

However my Banshee had an 8:1 mainsheet so we had to decide whether to take the tail above or below the tiller bar. We chose above so we could release it easily. That meant putting the lower block on a strop to raise it

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

8. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.