Formula 255 Liberator

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Jennifer1985, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Jennifer1985

Jennifer1985 New Member

Hey all... So I need some help here. I took on a project and can't seem to find any information anywhere, including the manufacturers. The first thing is, I picked up a 25' Formula 255 Liberator with a non working motor for free. This boat originally came with what appears to be a single engine, as there is only one fiberglass patched area where a stern drive would have been. Currently in there now is a Chrysler 290 (6.3L 383) and it was converted to shaft drive. I hate it because it pushes the motor way too far forward and limits the area around the cabin and dashes. I want to convert it back to stern drive. SO my question here is, should I try to find a second one and make it a twin setup? Or should I just take the one I have, beef it up to 500hp or more and enjoy that? I am thinking the latter, however my real question that will help make this a little bit of a clearer picture is what stern drives are compatible with this engine? I can't seem to find a Dana 81 anywhere and I was hoping to find something newer anyways, that can take a lot more power.

I will also try to post pictures at some point, but I will say it's completely gutted. I tore everything out and started with a blank canvas. I'm even tearing down the motor right now to do a complete rebuild with new performance parts.

Any ideas for my original issues would be greatly appreciated. I am really thinking about just using the Chrysler 290 and rebuilding it with performance parts and a supercharger. But I have no idea what can bolt up to it stern drive wise. And the other option is to just simply re-power with twin Mercruiser 5.7L V8's @ 300HP for $2200 each. Opinions?

2. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

I assume you are referring to a Four Winns Liberator (V Bottom) not a Liberator cat correct? If so, I don't know if you'd fit twin 5.7s in there. I thought all the Liberators were single sterndrive. A single with a Merc Bravo drive will run nice. If I remember, they were quick boats for their time.

3. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Don't try to match anything up with what was once there or what you have now, just get a new (newer) complete engine/outdrive package and drop it in.

Edit, didn't see that this was a year old thread when I replied.