U-bolt fitting - bedding threads in epoxy

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by elhix, Feb 16, 2010.

1. elhix

elhix Junior Member

My plans include u-bolts for a bridle at the bows. They have their threads embedded in epoxy in a hardwood block that is in turn behind several layers of glass. I have added a similar feature to the two sterns for a drogue bridle.

My question is: does embedding u-bolt threads is epoxy provide the strength necessary?

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Get a copy of "The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction" book. It has an extensive discussion of how to design an epoxy only fitting like that: required hole size, hole depth, strength, etc.

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

IF the joint was designed and built properly it should hold up just fine. If there is some reason to think this joint will fail? Is there a history of this joint failing? OR are you not confident you can built it properly?

It can also be more durable than a bolted joint, where it can trap moisture and allow rot in a place that is hard to inspect.

4. elhix

elhix Junior Member

I've no reason to believe the joint as described on the plans will fail and certainly feel happy to build it, I was just looking for opinion on this type of fitting rather than the usual bolts and backing plates.

Jehardiman, I should have bought the Gougeons book back in the beginning... I'm reluctant to now as it'll only tell me what I could have done better. Going to have a look on amazon though.

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I would certainly not consider the threads in epoxy to have the same strength as a backing plate...but the fact that you are only using this system for the bridle ends...you should be able to get away with it for a long time. The fastening is stronger than the rope and the rope will absorb shocks in the system so you should be ok.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.