Foredeck Hatch

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Willallison, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I'm looking for a supplier for a foredeck hatch that is to be fitted to an aluminium powerboat.
    The hatch needs to be essentially flush fitting, so that it can be decked over with teak or similar to match the surrounding foredeck.
    It also needs to be rellatively light weight, which seems to the main problem with all the off-the-shelf units that I've looked at so far from the likes of Bomar, Olcese Ricci etc. which all weigh 20kg or more.
    At the end of the day, we can always fabricate one, but my experience with hatches is that they always work better if they are production units...
    Any suggestions much appreciated....

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

4. Willallison

Yes - as I noted, I have the info on both Rondal and Olcese Ricci. Both make very high quality stuff - but are intended for larger craft - not an 8m tender, which is weight critical....

5. michael pierzga

Hmm...I have two custom profile, deck cambered, aluminum Rondal foredeck hatches and without their teak skin they are very light....and cost as much as a small car !!!!!!

I suppose to save money, you could design the foredeck with a recessed, flat non deck cambered base with drain waterways to accept a standard anodized Lewmar low profile. On small race boats Ive modified the standard Lewmar type by substituting the window with a sheet of skinned Nomex or skined HD foam . Skinned Ply set in the frame would work .

It would make more sense to use an off the shelf , none deck cambered hatch. Custom Hatches are high maintenance....paint and corrosion ... and Rondal service components like gaskets are expensive and time consuming to order.

6. Willallison

Yes - I have thought about doing that, but I'd far prefer to use a simple off-the-shelf unit in its intended fashion.
    Cost is not the (major) issue... the expense of custom fabricating (usually) far outweighs the added expense of buying quality.
    Oh.. and no deck camber BTW

7. michael pierzga

8. michael pierzga

The Vetus Planus hatch is also very low profile and looks easy to modify , remove, glass panel

9. Willallison

I've looked at the Freeman stuff before... perhaps worth a re-visit though... thanks

I have a planus hatch in my current boat and I agree, repplacing the "plastic" with something that could be decked over could be a work-around... though I'd be hesitant about having people walk over it on a regular basis.
    In the end, I may have to accept making up a small recess and using a "normal" hatch...

10. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

11. Willallison

Thanks Slavi, but neither offer a hatch suitable to be decked over, unless I've missed it.
    The Lewmar flush hatch is an option, however... if I foregoe the decked-over approach

12. longboat1

longboat1 New Member

Pacific Coast Marine...High Quality, low cost

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.