Ford Tractor Diesel

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by SURRYEQUIP, Nov 11, 2011.

    Joined: Feb 2006
    Posts: 14
    Likes: 0, Points: 1, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: VIRGINIA

    SURRYEQUIP Junior Member

    I want to use a 401 Ford tractor diesel in a boat. The rear bolt pattern is the same as 2000 ford tractor thru 8000 ford tractor- Can i get some suggestions as to how to hook up a trans to this- I can imagine accurately fabricating an adapter could be tricky. Thanks
  2. whitepointer23

    whitepointer23 Previous Member

    look up bowman or lehman, you can purchase everything you need to marinise a ford diesel. sabre was another company and lees.
  3. gonzo
    Joined: Aug 2002
    Posts: 15,233
    Likes: 943, Points: 123, Legacy Rep: 2031
    Location: Milwaukee, WI

    gonzo Senior Member

    If you use a Velvet Drive transmission, there should be a SAE bellhousing for it.
    Joined: Oct 2002
    Posts: 4,519
    Likes: 110, Points: 63, Legacy Rep: 1009
    Location: Conn in summers , Ortona FL in winter , with big d

    FAST FRED Senior Member

    I would contact Twin Disc for a transmission is this is a blue water boat.

    If you look in , a rebuilt can be had for far less cost than "new".


  5. MikeJohns
    Joined: Aug 2004
    Posts: 3,192
    Likes: 208, Points: 63, Legacy Rep: 2054
    Location: Australia

    MikeJohns Senior Member

    If you cannot find a housing to suit your gearbox then making an adapter plate/bellhousing replacement is not that hard these days with NC cut steel plate.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.