volvo 200 outdrive

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by cattelona, Mar 31, 2011.

1. cattelona

cattelona Junior Member

Hi all,
    I have two volvo outdrive legs which I would like to overhaul any experts out there who can advise me if this is very technical to carry out by myself , I have rebuilt car lorry gearboxes & many engines all types since a boy with a dirt bike { started with a BSA Bantom } rebuilt it many times , I believe volvo legs to be very precision made having done some research I do have a service manual for the 200 & 200c , one leg slips in forward drive but when revs increased no problem I know that the oil seals need doing as I get water in the oil , I have asked a volvo leg service engineer and was quoted £ 2000.00 for both full overhaul , but having spent nearly that much on replacing one engine and rebuilding the other I am trying to keep costs to a minimum.

Yours
    Nick

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The tool kit and jigs to rebuild them is quite expensive. The price they quoted for the rebuilds is quite reasonable. The tools would cost you about half of that and you would have to find a dealer willing to order you a set.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Then you have nothing to loose in having a go.

Special tools make it easy,--true,-- so you could put up with a bit off difficulty for 2 grand.

You know special tools!! a thing with a bolt on it or a long pair of pliers and a special circlip installer. Have a go I say, I would.

4. cattelona

cattelona Junior Member

my volvo legs

hi gonzo & frosty,
    thanks for your replies I have a list of tools required within the workshop manual that came with the boat , I will find out more info .
    I may still go for the 2k rebuild depends on how things wihin the economy go as I am a self employed builder work is not as plentiful as it was everyone is cutting back , but just got news of good contract i have to start and its looking better than its been for a couple of years , need to earn a bit to constantly pour into that fibreglass hole in the sea.
    many thanks
    nick

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.