For those who carry arms on their boats-

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by bntii, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I don't think there's any doubt that child prostitution is real in Thailand.
    But from what I've read, the government today is making more of an effort to stop than they did in past years.

And it's no more fair to the Thais (or to grumpy old expat's living there) to talk like the whole country is drenched in it and complicit... any more than it's fair to paint average Americans as kill-crazy gun freaks because we have gang bangers. Of course, I suppose it isn't any less fair, either....:p

Anyway, I think we need to get off that subject or this thread will inevitably get locked down. I think Jeff's been surprisingly patient so far, but it can't last forever. And I think it's served the purpose for which it was introduced: "let he who is without sin cast the first stone," etc.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Very Likely ---touche.

Yes the thread has become distorted by a member wishing to jab rather than submit anything in respect to it.

However I must insist that prostitution of children is most severely frowned upon . Do you think children stand on street corners prostituting them selves No No No.

What I think is that the friendliness of the people is seen as an advance when it is just not as prostituting but as a friend. Yes a single man will most definately be approached by a girl at bar, now to your eyes this is an advance and you think Oh prostitute No No she works at the bar and is paid maybe 10 dollars per day to talk to single men to make then enjoy thier stay and drink more.

These poor girls want to enjoy your holiday with you literally wanting to come with you and laugh and have a good time with you swimming or what ever you want. These girls see little in money as you do and I find it most insulting that they come to help you and enjoy with you and you call them prostitutes .

It angers me imensley

Yes I understand your thinking --- but Thailand is NOT America.

You must not judge the East with a Western mind.

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

- yep, force everyone to ride their guns to work!

1 person likes this.
  4. myark

myark Senior Member

When my friends where shot as well one in the USA in NZ one in a hunting accident and two murdered and one suicide after he murdered was in the 1970s when guns excepted as normal as the law was relaxed, however it’s all changed and the law is strict and why shooting are now not common.
    In reality I look at this way, I have had street fights when younger defending my friends, strangers or women and if guns where carried I would have been shot many times over or I may of shot someone defending myself if I had a gun and placed in prison.
    I ended up with black eyes and fat lips and so did others but no one killed and when people sobered they are probably good people and no need to kill.
    A gun and anger is a dangerous remedy also the mental stress some people have is the fine edge of blowing someone away especially with a country that owns 70 million handguns is crazy stuff.

No matter what I say it will not sink in because guns possesses your soul.

Every year just over 30,000 people die in the US from gunshot wounds. Every two years more US citizens are killed by gunshot wounds than were lost in the entire Vietnam War.

Let’s look at this way. With a population of 310 million and an annual death rate of 8.3/1000 , we can calculate that 2,573,000 people die in the US each year.
    Of which 30,000 die of Gun Shot - so if you live in the US you have a 1.166% chance that you will die of Gun Shot wound. The rate of gunshot deaths is about 8 times that of economically comparable nations.
    Also, the number of handguns used in crime (approximately 7,500 per year) is very small compared to the approximately 70 million handguns in the United States (i.e., 0.011%).
    http://colfo.org.nz/index.php/contact-/108-nz-guns-and-hunting-mar-2012

5. Petros

Petros Senior Member

MyArk,

Your posting of those numbers are meaningless and just shows your dishonesty by hiding behind irrelevant statistics. You cite only "gun deaths", not overall murder rate; the overall murder rate in the USA is lower than most countries, of you take out the major cities where incompetent leadership has allow drug gangs to run free, the USA as a whole is one of the safest places on earth. The overall murder rate is the only number that matters. There is no point to limiting only to "gun deaths", that is an pretext to a lie.

You lie with numbers when you only cite "gun deaths" because this number will include police shooting criminals, and armed citizens legally defending themselves against criminals, and suicide by firearms. You prove NOTHING by using meaningless numbers. You ignorantly imply that by if we disarmed the honest citizens that there would be no "gun deaths". Look at the overall murder rate of countries with strict gun control laws (like Mexico for example), and it is easy to show the hollowness of your implications.

the suicide by firearms is irrelevant since only total suicide rate is important (just like overall murder rate). There have been studies done that show that forced registration or confiscation of firearms has no measurable effect on suicide rates (one done in Canada recently for example), if those suffering severe depression are determined to kill themselves they will find other ways to do it.

Your use of limited data is how people misrepresent facts, IOW is a just a way of lying about a point you are trying to make.

Your use of "facts" only exposes your opinion as meaningless.

And beside, most of the people in the USA do not care what you think about our civil rights laws. Your opinion is irrelevant, we do not care what you think. You have nothing useful to contribute, especially when you want to advocate for your meaningless position with lies and abusing "facts".

The United states is one of the safest places in the world to live, particularly if you stay out of the inner cities where leftist politicians have their way and crime runs rampant.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Petros, Submarine Tom, Gonzo, Troy2000, and a couple of others.

It is apparent to me, and probably to you as well. It seems that more people die from suicide in Australia and New Zealand than die in the USA from guns AND suicide ....

But, our opponents believe America is in trouble.

So, they took to attacking several of us in hopes of dividing us. We continued to focus upon the right of freedom from tyranny and the right of their people to be free.

Someone wrote how sex tourism was supposed to be viewed from eastern eyes, and we should befriend little boys and girls .... I do not know what that meant. But, it was scary to read.

And I think it points to a deeper problem, the very depth this problem is the reason most Americans believe in the 2d Amendment even today. IMHO.

While death is certain, with or without guns; the bigger problem is: Tyranny is certain without guns. And even with guns, 'tyranny' is a threat when 'tyranny' can convince us to become lazy.

Maybe that is not a good enough reason for others to believe as I do, but it was good enough for my ancestors when they were freeing America from the tyranny we faced from England. And today it is good enough for Americans to face tyranny around the world to free women, children, and men.

And if the only thanks we get, is to be told that people around the world consider our freedoms and our guns a threat to their existence. If that is the only thanks they can give us, then so be it.

But, they should free the children, the women, and even the men where they live BEFORE they come after our guns.

They should be just as angered as we are that there is still tyranny in this world. No one, of any age, sex, or gender should be enslaved because they happen to live where it is 'acceptable.'

And that is why our ancestors fought a war. That is why they wrote a Constitution and the Amendments. And that was why the un-Civil War finalized the greatest experiment in Human History. And that is why so many other countries have followed our lead.

Let Freedom Ring!

IMHO.

wayne

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

One of the reasons for the spike on murder and other violent crime was the wave of criminals sent over by Fidel Castro. He got the worst psychopaths from his jails, mixed them with regular refugees and let them cross to Florida. At about the same time, free and/or easy to get mental health care was severely restricted because of cuts in government spending. A couple of decades later most if not all of those criminals are either dead or in jail. The mental health care, unfortunately has not been improved much

8. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

I am glad you remembered the Marielitos .... who did dent our crime statistics .... But, they cut Cuba's crime rate ....

Thanks!

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I have two good friends who are Marielitos. They were small children then.

10. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

For every 4 good ones, there was one bad one .... darn those statistics!

But, thank God there were good ones. Even Castro couldn't send just his bad people.

:)

11. myark

myark Senior Member

Of course I am going to get flank with gun fanatics and surpised are not more so I expect you to twist anything to your liking how ever seen you rubbishing other countries let’s have a look in the at your own back yard as a small example from recent pasts which sadly NZ was not much better because we stood and watched while women and children were slaughtered...as well in Vietnam and Cambodia.

Due to the secrecy of the war, US pilots were advised they could ignore the Rules of Engagement which had to be adhered to in Vietnam and Cambodia. For example, in Vietnam pilots were forbidden to bomb within half a kilometer of a temple or hospital. In Laos the bombers were free to bomb whatever they liked: temples, hospitals, schools and villages. The US-ratified Hague Convention, which prohibited the bombardment of civilian populations in undefended villages, was ignored. The vast majority of casualties from the bombing were civilians.
    US pilots returning to base in Thailand from raids in Vietnam also used Laos as a bomb dumping ground – having been ordered to return with no bombs on board. As stated by an ex-US pilot: “Every day you flew a certain number of (bombing) missions, and you flew those missions regardless of whether there were any targets available or not…so what you’re doing is simply decimating any area with human beings in it”.
    The Lao civilian death count was astronomical. US B52 bombers could drop a hundred bombs at a time, and 580,000 bombing missions were conducted. The US dropped a planeload of bombs on Laos every eight minutes, day and night, for nine years from 1964 to 1973. That’s nearly two million tonnes of bombs – over half a tonne of bombs for every man, woman and child living in Laos.
    Around a third of the population of Laos was killed, injured or made homeless by the air war – approximately a million people.
    Approximately thirty per cent of the bombs didn’t explode, and can have jammed timers or firing pins, and all they now need is a knock to set them off. The country is still absolutely littered with bombs. At current rates of UXO clearance in Laos, it is expected that it will take 180 years to remove the threat of UXO. However, there are some areas that will never be able to be cleared due to difficulty of access.

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

What do bombs in Cambodia have to do with the subject at hand? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Obviously you just love to bash America and Americans, and this thread is simply another excuse to do so.

And by the way, your numbers are completely absurd. No military in the world would accept a 30% failure rate in bomb detonators.

13. myark

myark Senior Member

Troy you are gun fanatic that firearms possess your soul so you will always have an opposite view no matter what I say and that is your right, however please do not get personal or abusive and as far as bashing goes I only replied to a post that was racially bashing one of your country neighbors.

With dotcom you openly bashed him for a minor crime and had no forgiveness except jealously, however when I mention crimes against humanity such as slaughter of innocent women and children in Laos but that’s different.

14. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Myark,

what possible useful contribution to the discussion do you add with such irrelevant postings? This only reflects on your bad manners rather than adding anything relavent at all. No one that had authroity to make such decisions is not this forum, and almost all of them are gone now. No point in bring up the past that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. You waste your time with irrelevant postings again. We do not care what you think. You are irrelevant.

Beside, whatever misguided policies you seem to think we were guilty of vastly pales in comparison to what the Kamare Rouge did after the US withdrew. Or is it you prefer your own home grown version of tyrants?

15. myark

myark Senior Member

Petros quote "We do not care what you think. You are irrelevant."

Hmmmmmm, then why read my post

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.