For those who carry arms on their boats-

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by bntii, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Number4

Number4 Previous Member

Hi Gonzo,
    You forgot Europe, Australia, and Oceania.
    Lucky there was no one on Antartica or we would have had them aswell.
    You guys have done a pretty good job at catching us up though.
    I blame the Italians (Romans), they started it!

The caption was a quote from an American film, by the way. Full Metal Jacket.

When I hear people slag off the British Empire, I always think of
    "The Life of Brian."

Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the British ever done for us?
    Attendee: Brought peace?
    Reg: Oh, peace - shut up!
    Reg: There is not one of us who would not gladly suffer death to rid this country of the British once and for all.
    Dissenter: Uh, well, one.
    Reg: Oh, yeah, yeah, there's one. But otherwise, we're solid.

Best Wishes,
    Adam

2. myark

myark Senior Member

America's Cup Winner Slain by Pirates in Brazil

He charged onto the deck firing a .30-06 rifle and struck one pirate in the hand. then was shot twice in the back seconds later, according to Brazil's federal police. A bullet pierced his heart, authorities said, and he died almost instantly.

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/dec/07/news/mn-12517

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

That terrible incident proved how worthless guns on a boats are.. Less than worthless, deadly.
    Ive often wondered why a leader , so experienced like Blake, failed to realize this ?

Any American contemplating sailing internationally would wise to leave the gun fetish at home and fit out with a mutli purpose pair of Bear arms.

http://[​IMG]

4. myark

myark Senior Member

The media made it he was a hero which I thought he was fool charging out with a bolt action rifle while his crew where held at gun point on upper deck, also they were brandishing upmarket cloths and watches buying expensive booze onland in front of people that owned little and is said why the pirates targeted them.
    The pirates said they did mean shoot him and had no choice because he came out shooting.
    Blake was known to practice with the gun at a rifle range in NZ and boasted what he would do if any pirates came on his boat which he did and paid with his life and almost the life of his crew.

5. michael pierzga

Guns escalate violence. The British police force has long known this , Police are still unarmed.

Additionally , it is unwise to cruise with a yacht in areas of extreme poverty or conflict zones..

At present the Caribbean is a conflict zone. Drugs...18 year old boys addicted to crack cocaine. They will harm you for the 25 dollars that you have in your pocket to feed their addiction. You can choose to be Macho and cruise fully armed with your finger on the trigger or be smart and avoid the area and enjoy life.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Hoyt,
    Much appreciated,
    sorry "I cannot respond with positive rep" must spread it around WTF :?:

Same goes for Frosty's "bold" post....

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Buy 'Bundaberg Rum' and team up with a friendly "Drop Bear" - best chick magnet ever, and very very protective of the socially responsible 'Bundaberg Rum' drinking fraternity....

Carrying firearms in the Coral Sea region is stupid and attracts rascals who are interested in seizing the firearms for their own use... I refuse to carry weapons anywhere in Melanesia and Australia, it invites attacks...

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

so do I. We have all learned a lot from Monty Python

I love being British --its like winning the lottery of life.

White male , born North England
    man it don't get better than that.:D

Gonzo thinks we massacred the Americans, I don't remember that. What we didnt get they certainly finished the job, then tought them how to drink and gamble. Now that what I call useful education.

9. OverRun

OverRun New Member

Very nicely put masalai, and indeed true.

With various stays covering many years in South Africa, I have lived through the escalation in gun violence and observed the various responses of people.

It started with the good old days, when I could have my FN [fully automatic rifle] in the house and gun violence was pretty much unheard of. Saturdays were spent down at the range blazing away - great fun. With the good guys heavily armed and the bad guys not armed, it was pretty easy to be protected.

As time went on, criminals obtained guns by burglary and car theft, and gun violence started to occur. Guns became one of the main targets, and criminals were breaking into things and places mainly to steal guns. The government-issued automatic weapons got withdrawn, and the situation became that the good guys were armed but the bad guys were armed more. It got worse, and a lot of serious gun violence occurred. It finally reached a point when the bad guys were so much better armed than the good guys, that carrying a gun became a liability. Well I should define "so much better armed" - what I mean is that if there are a dozen of them all armed, some with AK47s and the rest with handguns, and there is just one of you armed (with anything in the gun owners wet dream catalogue), then they are going to get you. It is straight combat mathematics.

So in the end, some of the good people go unarmed. They rely on commonsense, fear, law/order forces, keeping a low profile and security forces. There are other good guys that are still armed, but they tend to be more discrete about it. Carrying firearms in many places (as well as the Coral Sea region) is stupid and attracts rascals who are interested in seizing the firearms for their own use.

10. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

masalai.

That is the right thing to do i think. You can bet that most bandits will be better equipped for fighting than a yachtsman. And how many of us could actually shoot another human, the bandit will over power or shoot most of us while we take a second or two to decide.

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You have to break the eggs to make the omelet, right? Before the British went to sea they were repeatedly invaded; Picts, Gaels, Romans, Angles, Saxons, Danes, Normans and now imploding under former commonwealth immigrants. Ouch!

12. hoytedow

I still sadly remember the British policewoman shot down outside the Iranian embassy. I think the British Constabulary should be armed to the teeth.

13. hoytedow

More Native Americans died from disease than from combat. Want a free blanket? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_disease_and_epidemics

"During the French and Indian War, Jeffery Amherst, 1st Baron Amherst, Britain's commander in chief in North America suggested using the smallpox disease to wipe out their Native American enemy."

He got a college named for him.

https://www.amherst.edu/

14. Number4

Number4 Previous Member

Hi there hoyt,
    You forgot the Vikings,
    Our current implosion is in fact from the Eastern European Union.
    They are very nice people, and very hard workers. Employers love them.
    Unfortunately for some of us, they consider our minimum wage to be a grand fortune.

The Police woman was shot outside some sort of Libyan consulate a long time ago. I am not sure if that she had been carrying a weapon that she would not have been shot anyway.
    Unfortunately there are now armed Police officers in some parts of the UK, we are after all at war overseas, and there are more weapons than ever in circulation on our planet. Thankfully the vast majority of Policemen are unarmed here, and it takes a special occasion to roll out the storm troopers. In 41 years I have never heard a weapon discharged in a residential area, I have never met anyone who owned an illegal firearm, and I have never met anyone who has been involved in any sort of incident involving a firearm.

We do not have the right to bear arms, and it does not bother me at all.
    I enjoy very much being a subject of a Monarchist Dictatorship that does not allow me to carry a weapon.

Please do not become offended if we unarmed citizens of the world have a little giggle when you have tantrums because someone is going to take your toys away.

Best Wishes,
    Adam

15. michael pierzga

Gee... Youre armed to the teeth.

I sadly remember James Garfield, Lincoln, William McKinley ,John F Kennedy, Robert Kennedy, Martin Luther King.............. mountains of other innocent bodies, along with endless Colateral damage like James Brady

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.