F18 hull drawings

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by waynemarlow, Dec 18, 2014.

1. waynemarlow

waynemarlow Senior Member

Has anyone got a 3D dxf file of a F18 hull I could use, I just want to compare a number of hulls for volume etc, it will save me having to measure one properly over the Xmas period.

Thanks

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

F18

Write to Martin Fischer -he's a member here, a real nice guy and has responded to my e-mails-don't know if he'll send you a file but he might.....

3. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I spent some time looking at (older) F18's as they form the outriggers and rig for my Strike 20 trimaran

I'm not sure how one set of hull lines will help you? I found the F18 hulls varied from high and narrow to low and fat, some looked very odd to my eyes.

I think you'd be better taking basic measurements from a few boats and then estimating the lines. (I don't have any lines plans myself). That way, as you also know which boat is which, you can pick the fastest hull concept.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

4. waynemarlow

waynemarlow Senior Member

Thanks Richard

In that 90's 00's most of the hulls are not un-similar, in was only when the Shockwaves arrived that we suddenly had F18's on steroids and volume further and further forward.

When you did the calculations for the Strike what approx. total volume did you use ?

Thanks

5. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

The average old F18 hull seems to have a total displacement of around 600Kgs, which is 100% buoyancy for the Strike 20

The first Strike 20 has now been sold, it will be built in France using Nacra 5.8 hulls and a Tornado rig

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.