Suspencion to energy

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by meren, Jul 31, 2009.

1. meren

meren Junior Member

Maybe I shoot myself in my leg asking this, but have anybody thought of potential getting energy from suspension in boats/ships. MIT has done work with truck suspension converting energy to electricity with hydraylic suspension spiced with some kind on turbine generator producing up to 10% of energy on regular highway! There is much more gravitation energy going on especially when moving with boat in waves, which hull design has to do with a lot to keep vertical accelerations in minimum, which also reduce efficiency of hull. So, Why not to maximize acceleration in a separate light hull pounding in waves, and adding suspension between second heavier hull with propulsion, batteries and all everything.

Brainstorm, por favor!

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Where are you going to suspend the suspension to, or alternatively what is it going to rest against to generate any force? Remember a sponson will float up at the same time and on the same wave the boat does, no relative motion, no power.

There has been some researce in converting vibrations from an engine to electrical power, but the amount of power output was very low compared to the cost of the system. By very low I mean microvolts btw.

3. meren

meren Junior Member

http://www.gadgets-reviews.com/mit-energy-recovering-shock-absorbers.html

Think a boat just a separate bottom shell attached to a "car". When moving throgh waves suspencion absorbes say 50% of vertical accelerations. If RMS acceration in a bottom shell would be say 0,5 g and displacement of a whole hull say 20000 Newtons there is a force of 10000 N "wasted" in vertical accelerations. If an efficiency of a system from "suspencion turbine" to propulsion would be just 0,1 there is still a 1000 N potential to use for propulsion and electricity due to this "Gizmo" consept. Look at the sketch belowe... Flexible attachment between a bottom shell and a boat would be arranged with air pressured collars too of air suspencion elements...

4. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

I think this concept is like,,,

"I'm going to save money, no matter what it costs me!"

5. meren

meren Junior Member

Expensive for sure, but just an idea... Maybe more interesting when gas/diesel cost over 6 $/gallon or so in near future...

This consept allows also more efficient and fast (for example low V-hull) due to suspension a well ventilated stepped hull for example.

Propulsion could be diesel/electric hybrid.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.