Folding beam again

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by erikhaha, Dec 3, 2010.

1. erikhaha

erikhaha Junior Member

Here is topic that has already been covered before.
    Now I finally have the time to finish building my small tri. 20 ft LOA, 14ft beam. Strip planked, glassed. 1/4" stitched ply outriggers, each approx 60lb.

I would appreciate any input from experienced builders/designers. Please see attached pdf.

The hinge has been designed for a 350lb point load acting at the end of the beam. Although I did not do a finite element analysis, I do believe my calculations are a conservative estimate.

The main beam is a 3" square al tube, and the floding beam is a laminated wood beam made of IPE and Doug Fir #1. The bending stress of IPE is 3600psi, and it is a very very hard wood. Unfortunately its density if 78 pcf.

Thanks for any input

Attached Files:

2. dstgean

dstgean Senior Member

Check out the W17 mentioned here. He uses a waterstay and it also works for the B24.

Dan

3. erikhaha

erikhaha Junior Member

Not sure about waterstays on the W17. I checked it out and I didn't see any. Also, I realy do not want to use waterstays.

4. dstgean

dstgean Senior Member

Watch the video--I must have been confused by the tramps hanging down. Hinging and not using waterstays will require a BEEFY hinge.

Dan

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  5. cardsinplay

cardsinplay da Vinci Group

And a decently strong front beam.

I'm sure that Mike has calculated all that and that there's a safety margin appropriate for the intended use. Mike is one sharp guy and he is always looking for interesting ways to bring multihull sailing to the every day guy.

In an area where there was a desert of options for day and adventure sailing trimaran enthusiasts just ten years ago, there are now a collection of insteresting boats. Some of them are very functional, as well as aesthetically appealing and others are decidedly less so, but the choices are now out there.

If I wasn't for the fact that I've been drawing my own boats of this type for more than nine years now, I'd be very seriously considering one of Mike's offerings.

6. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

JFWIW I hope this might help it is a very simple system by I think by Chris White designs

Attached Files:

7. basil

basil Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.