Jib Hanks

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by durwoodghib, Jul 24, 2007.

1. durwoodghib

durwoodghib Junior Member

I was looking at the Jib hanks on my sail the other day and noticed that they were sewn on and on half of them the sewed part is coming loose…so I was looking to maybe replacing them. I came across the jib hank below on West Marine’s web page and these do not have to be sewn to hold them on instead you just clamp down on the part that is kinda sticking out there to attach them to the sail. My Question(s) are has anyone used this style and are they ok? Does anyone prefer the sewn ones over the clamp on ones and vise verse? If so why?

[​IMG]

2. riggertroy

riggertroy Senior Member

Have used both, if it is just the thread on the sewn ones that is coming loose sew them on again, have done this a few times on an older sail.
    The sewn one I'm thinking of have a closed eye instead of the hook that is shown in the picture you have there.
    Also if you are not careful when bending the piston hank on (the on pictured) the hook piece can break.
    In use I have found no difference. Just check the quality of the hanks you buy, have had some poor quality ones - pits and fine cracks - and they lead to problems.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I'd keep the old ones and lash (seize) them properly. Learn how to do the job. Chances are the older ones are quality-made. A book, like the Rigger's Apprentice, would be a good way to spend your money instead of buying something you don't need. There is nothing inferior about older traditional seizings. Actually, they are usually more repairable and their condition is more easily spotted.

Alan

4. Ramona

Ramona Senior Member

Just to steal the thread slightly. I have often wondered about those plastic hanks. Just how good are they compared to bronze. The plastic ones are easy to find, the bronze are hard to find locally.

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

They are lighter, but of course, riding up and down a wire is hard on plastic. Plastic also suffers UV degradation over time and is only a fraction as strong as bronze.
    It's hard to find good boat hardware anywhere. Harder and harder. I happen to live close to a very rich wooden boat culture, so there are a couple of stocking dealers less than an hour away. But even they, year by year, carry fewer traditional quality items.

6. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

My sailmaker converted my headsails to hanks and used the bronze piston type. I guess he must reckon they are okay.

Mychael

7. FatBear

FatBear Junior Member

Will the bronze wear out your head stay?

--FatBear

8. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Bronze is pretty soft compared to the stainless wire of the head stay, not likely the head stay will wear, more likely the bronze will "lubricate" the point of contact and slowly erode away.

The sew-on hanks are more durable because, if properly installed, they spread the load out over a much larger area of fabric. But they do need to be maintained.

The other type were designed to lower the cost of making a sail, and when the fabric fatigues they will rip out, and do a lot of damage to the sail leading edge.

I would stick with the traditional sew-on hanks, but yes, they have to be maintained like anything else that gets used.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The sew on hanks can rotate a bit more than the ones with the tang that gets bent on. I think this makes it easier when you douse the sail and lash it on deck. Also, they align better when you hoist the sail.

10. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

All the sailmakers these days seem to use the "bend-on" hanks, and they work well if you don't bend them more than once. This work hardens the bronze and it quickly cracks. You only get one bend really, but then they work great. Sewn-in just needs to be done thoroughly with a stopper knot on the well-waxed thread. Both work. Go sailing now.

11. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

I've had a set of bronze hanks wear more than 1/2 way through without any measurable wear on the headstay. So I'd say no, they won't. Although this was rod rigging. Will that change anything?

-jim lee

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.