Eagle 20 HF-No Uptip Foils, No Wands-Major Innovation!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

This cat was first posted in "New Catamaran Foilers" but moved when I found out the extremely unique altitude control system it uses: The boat relies on crew movement for altitude control!
    ----
    more here- http://www.catsailingnews.com/2015/04/eagle-cat-20hydro-foiler.html#more
    Impressions from the editor of www.catsailingnews.com:
    "This might be the first set of foils aiming to what kites are doing on refining the foiling wings. Also windsurfing boards have a super stable ride with similar setup, no wands, but full body trim & control , which is difficult to replicate (the crew influence on the flight by body dynamics) on a 20' double handed cat, but I think on a Stunt 9 things can get interesting.
    Nevertheless the Eagle team seems to have achieve some quite stable flight as reported by Roland, will be interesting to see a video next. Kudos to Eagle for innovating that path that in my view could
    be really efficient even in racing arenas in the future.
    The yard has a long time reputation on building high quality cats, The great Beto Pandiani has used Eagles for his ocean crossings for instance."

Pictures by Michael Ehlers,www.eagle-cat.com

click-

Attached Files:

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I've written to the company to try to get more detailed info on their foil control system.
    ------
    First class response from Heiner:

Hello Doug
    nice to hear from you.
    Just the moment we have a very simple system. We have a start line in a cleat. We lose the line and we have a fly modus.
    But it`s easyer we go in trapeze one meter in front of the boat.
    That`s all
    We ordered now a automatic system like Wisper
    I think that is the best of all systems.

Best regards
    Heiner

Catstadl
    Heiner Wolfshöfer
    Stadelner Str. 27
    91735 Muhr am See
    Tel.: 09831/50169
    Fax: 09831/80447
    www.eagle-cat.com

===============================
    The Whisper system is wand controlled main foils..... http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/whisper-foiling-catamaran-51411.html

3. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

" Downtip Foils" LOL

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Looks like they're going to use, or at least experiment with, Whisper Cat wand controlled foils....But it would be interesting to see the DowntiP foils in waves!

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Eagle 20 SPEED!

From www.catsailingnews.com , the Eagle has gone really fast in a 25mph wind. Not 100% sure if they are using their original foils or the Whisper foils but I've written Heiner to find out. Regardless-very fast!
    UPDATE: Heiner says that the foils used for this speed are the original Eagle foils-no uptips, no wands, not surface piercing....

Attached Files:

6. ch3oh

ch3oh Junior Member

Is it just me or do the foils remind of [​IMG]Nice top speed. I kinda hope they'd show speeds substained for a few seconds. Or race a flying phantom/nacra :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.