24ft Trimaran in Oz

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by buzzman, Apr 21, 2014.

1. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

This boat was begun by a South Oz builder, who passed away before finishing it. Originally thought by the family to have been designed by the builder it was, in fact, a known design: Paolo Bisal's Tritium 720

http://www.paolobisol.com/tritium720_en.htm

The builder appears to have modified the design to make the beams permanent, so I'm going to have to 'undo' that bit.

The builder sadly passed away after an attack of the dreaded 'Spanish Dancer' - third time unlucky for him, he'd beaten it off twice before.

He had a blog, mostly political rants only Aussies would understand, but it appears he was a cheerful bloke with a creatively cynical view of politicians and their motivations.

He was a civil engineer and an IT guru, and had produced his own CAD program to fiddle about with Paolo's designs.

Sad that he has passed, but the family is happy the boat went to a good home.

Cost me AU$1000 in fuel and food to get there and back, all 4300km. So after five days of driving and camping out (couldn't afford motels), my poor overworked little 1.8L Corolla and I are are safe back in Kempsey.

Of course, I have now realised that I can't get the boat into the yard - due to a steep driveway, sharp angle on the road (trailer just hits the ground) so am going to have to build a temporary ramp to get it into the yard, and then remodel the shed so I can get it in there. Under tarps in the meantime, on the street out front, padlocked and one wheel removed to discouraged the light-fingered louies of this town.

So this will be the build thread once I can get the boat into the shed and continue building.

To whet your appetitites....

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

And here's a few more....

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

And a few more....

Attached Files:

4. warwick

warwick Senior Member

It looks to be a interesting tri you have there Buzzman.

5. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Warwick
    Cheers! Thanks, mate! I think so too. And can't be beaten on price! :)

No doubt I'll be asking the community ofr advice on the beams and so on down track. This is my first real build of a boat, so I reckon it'll be a sharp learning curve.

I also scored a roll of fabric (purpose unknown, bit fluffy-ish...???) ana roll of glass fibre (weight unknown, how do you tell...?) and about 3L of R180 FGI epoxy, and a couple of tins of 2-pack Epoxy Undercoat, plus a few rolls of tape, some of which I think mihgt have carbon in them because they have thin black stripes running the length of the tape.

Not the whole tape black carbon, just black strings, about 6mm apart in a normal-looking selvedged edge tape about 75mm wide...does anyone know what this tape is..??

6. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Good score dude !
    Post some pics of the materials, for weight cut a metre square and weigh it.
    Fluffy fabric could be coremat which is like a glass blotting paper used for bulking laminate, cheap but heavy !
    FGI epoxy is good stuff.

7. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

What about the tape with the black strings in it, what do reckon about that?

8. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Dunno, thats why I asked for pics, Is it uni ?
    Could be mix of glass and carbon

9. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Sglass and carbon

10. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Chances are he bought materials from local FGI supplier so contact them, they may be able to tell you everything he purchased.

11. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Ahh! Good idea! I'll track them down and ask.....and get pics.....bit tricky as it's all in the boat and I can't climb into it easily while it's on the trailer....will see what I can do.

12. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Few more pics....

First couple collecting the boat in South Oz (the overweight wildly grinning bugger is me) and the last is at home in Kempsey before I put the cover on and took the wheel off the trailer.....until I can sort out the gate opening (too narrow) and the driveway ramp (too sharp for the loaded trailer)....

More to come.

Attached Files:

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I hope it goes well for you - as for a bargain, well, let me know how you feel when you get the quote for the stick , rigging and sails ;)

PS oh, and the Paint - omygod, the paint job price !!!!

14. jamez

jamez Senior Member

That certainly looks like the makings of a bit of fun there. But I don't see any Tritium in it. Looks more like a variation on a Hughes 24 or something similar. Looks like it will be light and faaast. :) What are you going to build the beams out of?

15. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Just keep an eye on gumtree............

It will all be on there eventually,

Jeff.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.