foil stabilised trimaran: we

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by warwick, Feb 13, 2012.

1. warwick

warwick Senior Member

I was looking through some old AMSA news letters that had a list for the 1988 Trans Antlantic race. One of the boats listed was the trimaran We sailed by Phil Stegal. What I remeber was that it was a very narrow main hull with foil stabilization. Does any one know if the trimaran we had any success in short handed racing, or was it another boat ahead of availible tachnology at the time.

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Phil Steggall came in 3rd (if I remember correctly) in the OSTAR that year, with one broken foil which slowed him. Then later the trifoiler got damaged (think the rig came down) and was towed sideways at times by a ship (I heard) and became more damaged but was later repaired and is now sailing in the Caribbean (?) without the wing mast but a fixed conventional rig, plus motor, etc ... so down on original performance ... but still around.

3. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Thanks Gary for the information. In some ways, it is simalar to your own boats. With what I see, is that you have taken the idea further.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.