Northwest 18

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Flumixt, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Flumixt

Flumixt Junior Member

Has anyone info or a site with info on the Northwest 18?

It's an open boat with a foredeck and a retractable keel but I have seen the boat only in the water and don't know much more than that. Owner said the boat weighed 800 lbs - I think the keel must be about 400. I found sail specs - that's it.

He said info on the net was scarce.

2. rrhal

rrhal Junior Member

Your post tugged at something in the back of my memory. Alas when I finally found it - I don't think this is what you're looking for:

http://www.nwmarinedesign.com/

If it is - good. If it isn't well good luck.

3. sonosail

sonosail SONOSAIL

There was boat builder called Northwest Marine Constructors on the west coast. The boats they built were all called Northwests.
    Here's the Northwest 21: http://www.sailboatdata.com/admin/viewrecord.asp?class_ID=5554
    I know they also made an 18, and this is probably the boat you have. Unfortunately I don't have a picture or specs or anything. Not much help, I'm afraid, but maybe that will steer you in the right direction.
    If I stumble into anthing more, I'll let you know.
    Cheers.

4. PortTacker

PortTacker Junior Member

Picture would help.
    Is it a glass hull but has a lapstrake look? Sort of a dory shape? Is the centerboard a heavy steel plate (and completely shapeless?)

If so, I knew someone who had one back in the early 80s. It was (I think) seaworthy as hell but slow and wouldn't point. Fairly low initial stability (dory shape) but after it heeled a bit it was solid. He didn't care, he liked its stability and 'saltiness.' I was into actual sailing performance, it never interested me.