Fogging a Fuel injected engine

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by tazman, Nov 5, 2007.

1. tazman

tazman New Member

I have an OMC 351 Cobra EFI engine and need to winterize it. I was told to drown the engine using fogging spray. I found the two valves(like tire valves) but when I try to connect to them gas comes out. Am I suppose to drain these first? Anyone ever do this who can provide some advice? Thanks!

2. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

New Englandizing..

Taz, I think there are two things to think about here, on the subject of fuel/oil (there are others like draining which I'm sure you know about)..

-- Fuel can deteriorate and get gummy; add a fuel stabilizer ("Stabil" etc) and run thru the tank / fuel system as recommended by Mfg.

-- Fogging is done by spraying into the air intake, after removing the air filter etc. Spray on and off until exhaust is smoky, then "drown it off and shut it off".
    This coats the pistons, cylinders, valves and passages with anti-corrosion oil.

-- you don't have a carburetor to drain, right??

Make sense??

3. tazman

tazman New Member

I don't have a carburetor. I had attended a marine winterizing forum and they never mentioned draining anything, so if you can elaborate I'd appreciate. What they did mention was this value for fuel injected engines but as I said it had gas pressure.
    At this point I have already winterized the engine with anti-freeze and fogged cylinders directly through spark plugs. Is there anything else I can do at this point without starting engine again? Thanks!

4. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Winter

Taz, maybe someone who really knows your particular engine can chime in...

If your have a 'closed cooling system' with antifreeze in it, then the engine cooling passages are OK. Fogging in the plug holes is OK; I would restart the engine this year, but I personally prefer 'fogging' thru the intake with engine running, until real smoky exhaust, which coats the valves and ports well.

If you have a 'wet' exhaust, I'm not sure if anything has to be drained.

Anyone else know this engine well?

5. redtech

redtech Senior Member

terryking is right about everything said.
    now just leave it and as for those valves with fuel those are fuel pressure test points leave them. as for the fuel in the injection system leave it. in fuel injection once the is in there it will be fine the outside air can not get to it so the fuel can stay for year without deteriorating

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.