S.p.r.i.n.t.

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Guest, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi EricG,

We have built one boat using the SPRINT system. As you might expect, there were no cost savings over our typical wet layup lamination on this first boat, but we have done a lot of learning.

I've not built a pre-preg boat, so I can't compare the SPRINT cost to pre-preg.

One warning I can give you is that your core fit must be flawless. Any imperfection in your core fit will not result in extra resin as it might with SCRIMP or hand layup, it will result in a resin starved laminate since there is no extra resin to go around. Carefull fabric placement is a must.

The nice thing is though, that you have plenty of time to get the fabric fit perfect, the core fit perfect, extra patches of resin film if you need it in one spot or another.

If you are used to wet layup with a large crew and 1 QA guy that has the big picture in mind, be ready for a change. Everyone placing laminate must understand the process and its limitations. There is never a reason to hurry, because haste certaintly makes waste if you are working with SPRINT.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.