foam tubes?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Psycho D, May 1, 2003.

  1. Psycho D
    Joined: Jul 2002
    Posts: 17
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: Nevada

    Psycho D Junior Member

    Is anyone familiar with any type of foam rod supplier? i am thinking about trying to design a fiberglass or graphite T-top for my boat. It is still just a thought, but it seemed that foam tubes would be perfect for this. Thanks in advance.
  2. kudu
    Joined: Oct 2002
    Posts: 112
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: Seattle, Wa. U.S.A.

    kudu Senior Member

    Have you thought of using C-Flex strip? It comes in two grades...CF-65, thickness .125" and CF-39, thickness .080". Each one are in planks 12" wide & up to 250' in length. I believe the lighter product will accomplish what you attemp to create. The fiberglass rods, similar to a fiberglass fishing rod are held on 1/2 centers by a light weight fiberglass cloth sandwich. It is great for most applications mainly because it can conform to compound curves. Just build a mold of your top, staple on the C-Flex properly, wet out with casting resin and bingo! Finish the layup with mat and cloth. The company Seemann Fiberglass, that manufactures the product is located at 6117 River Road, Harahan, Louisiana. Telephone number 504-738-6035...Good luck!
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.