foam the stringers

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by fishweed, Aug 7, 2006.

1. fishweed

fishweed Junior Member

I need to know if it would be acceptable to inject urethane foam into the stringers after the compression areas were fixed with epoxy or wood, all of my stringers are good, no cracks, but the wood in 80% gone, this is on a motorsailer and the hull is thick

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If the wood is 80% gone the stringers are not good. If you fill them with wood, there should be no voids to inject foam into.

3. Toot

Toot Senior Member

Exactly. From what I can tell, pour foam offers a solution to almost every problem, but nearly every solution it offers seems to be a lousy one.

If you tell us how old the boat is, what size, what condition, etc., it might be possible for folks here to come up with other solutions. But right now, we can't be sure whether you're talking about one bad stringer or 20 of them. Nor do we know whether it's just a bad part here or there or if the whole boat is shot. The lack of specifity, no doubt, is at least partly responsible for the dearth of responses.

Also, try using the search function as this seems to be a pretty common problem and I know it's been discussed many times before.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.