Cured epoxy (brand) with highest temperature tolerance

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by abosely, Apr 20, 2023.

1. abosely

abosely Senior Member

HDT is the term I was looking for. Edited to add that looking for higher HDT epoxy.
    Of the main brands & formulations, not some special epoxy.
    Hopefully this makes sense. :)

I know room temperature cure epoxy doesn’t have particularly high service temperatures.

But from what I understand, some brands/formulations have higher temperature tolerance than others.

I’m not intending to paint topside decks black.
    But interested in having a wood/glass laminating non-blushing epoxy that has better higher temperature tolerance as reasonably available.

Again I’m not looking for some special epoxy.
    I think System Three Silvertip epoxy has pretty good higher temperature tolerance.

Probably not going to be a big difference in temperature tolerance between any room temperature cure epoxy’s, but would like to best temp tolerance practical.

Cheers, Allen

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Well, the one thing you are missing is post curing changes a lot of what may worry you.

I post cured Silvertip hulls at about 155F for a couple of hours; 8 for the total oven time with ramping.

Memory offers about 180-185F for deformation temps. But once you post cure to 155F; it would require special circumstances or environment to ever achieve that temperature in service (and any deformation).

So, the bigger issue is post curing and not the hdt. Because the epoxy will change under any temps below the post cure.

I don't profess more than rudimentary knowledge on the topic.

abosely likes this.
  3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Ampreg 36 has a top end in post cure of 176F, with an ultimate transistion temp of about 205F. This is not a citation of specs!

Ambient cure is at 65F.

But the main thing to realize is absent post cure, the stuff will move at any increase over shop temps.

This became vividly clear as we did not post cure the bdeck cabin and once we got into a 120F tent; the thing printed on us even in white paint. I expect it is functionally post cured now, and a repaint will be perfect. Etc

abosely likes this.
  4. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

5. abosely

abosely Senior Member

Forgot about benefits of post curing.
    2- 28’ long and aprox 26” wide & 27” deep hulls, so would be pretty simple to make tent and post cure them.

6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Just remember to vent any closed chambers...

abosely likes this.

7. abosely

abosely Senior Member