Heat insulation of a steel

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by powerabout, Jul 10, 2010.

1. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

container
    Sorry slightly side tracked but I have a 20' container in 29 C or 90F 80% humid to insulate

What is the go to insulate against the steel from the inside and then cover it with plywood or something?
    Just to make it liveable as a temp workshop. It willl have AC.
    Thanks

PS it will be at a marina so this is boating related

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Nice comment, the last one.........

I would use simple, cheap, HD styrofoam or polystyrene. Glued to the container walls. If there are no windows (where you would need some frames) the simplest and cheapest way.
    Then cover with Al sheets when for tough duties, or these wooden chips* sheets (painted) when not. Again glued on. (polysulphate in buckets for both cases)
    *cannot remember the right term in any language at present, sorry.

I have done that for more than 25 years with no probs.

edited: OSB was the term I was missing:
    http://osbguide.tecotested.com/

Regards
    Richard

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I agree

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

thanks guys

5. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

I'd suggest a corrugated iron roof as well, leave a few inches air gap. If you can, have some overhang also.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

We put three bricks of about one ft. height on top and span (spun?) a canvas over it. Cheapest aircondition one can have.

7. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

.....yup, and add a small pump to create a drizzling flow of marina water over the container roof; evaporation cooling at its best..........

8. cor

cor Senior Member

I have a 20' container that I have been using in the arctic for a workshop. With a small Toyostove heater it has kept me warm for years now.

I used 2" pink foam (insulating foam from a lumber yard) covered with 1/2" plywood. After standing the foam and ply against the wall I drilled holes through to the outside and used long carriage bolts with nuts to hold it all together. The ceiling was propped up in place first and them the walls done second, that way the ceiling is held up without putting any holes in the roof. If you are serious about temp control inside I recommend insulating the floor the same way.

9. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

If you haven't already got the container get a high cube one. The 9'6" height makes them a lot better for workshops.

I second the others' comments re insulation. If you want to hang tools etc on the walls then glue some 50x50 timber to the container walls first, fit the insulation between the studs and screw the ply to them. My old team used to build lab and workshop containers to go aboard ship and down to the Antarctic, this is basically how we did it.

PDW

10. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I was thinking of welding angle iron or something to the inside to mount the internal plywood at the suitable distance off the interior to allow for the insulation and give me some hard (er) mounting points should i need them

Thanks for the 9'6" tip

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.