Foam for Insulation, not structure

Discussion in 'Materials' started by pairomedicsfish, Jun 30, 2006.

1. pairomedicsfish

pairomedicsfish Junior Member

What types of foam can I use to insulate fish boxes? they will be constructed of ply under glass, but I will need to lay up a foam layer. I cannot use expanding foam, since thee is no dead space for it and the faom needs to be flat to lay glass over.

2. pairomedicsfish

Even a little help would work.

3. hansp77

hansp77

cut and fitted styrofoam.
    Free, easy.
    But then of course there would be many other options as well.

4. pairomedicsfish

Regular styrofoam will melt after the appliocation of polyester resin. The Pink insulation foam fro Hoem Depot will also melt. I need something that will not melt. But thanks for the reply......

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

You need the polyurethane stuff from Home Depot which is brown colored and covered with foil or you can go to an insulation supply company and get some polyisocyanurate foam that is used on roofs, usually commercially. The polyiso comes in different thickness's and is somewhat structural as they have to make it tough enough to walk on. I've made 4x4x4' fishboxes with just it and no ply. Cut to shape and either pin together with wire or nails or tape with metalic foil tape like used in AC ductwork and then glass. Sam

6. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

Or use epoxy over styrofoam

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.