What if I had a system to right cats !?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by globaldude, Aug 15, 2008.

1. globaldude

globaldude court jester

Ive always wanted to be a convert primarily because I see all the advantages .
    But that big scary disadvantage has put me off .Capsize !!

What if I could design a system that could right an upturned cat ?.
    It wouldn't stop it capsizing but would enable the cat to be righted by the crew in due time .

It's got to be worth something to me , right ??, I mean, its my IP, so ;

A; should I get paid if someone were to retrofit their cat with the system ?

B; is $100 per boat unreasonable ?

C; how the blankity blank do I get someone / some company to pay for IP ?

I have a theory for that , but first I'd like to gauge the feedback & or opinions as to the above rantings .

It's ok, you don't have to be kind :p Ive been insulted by the best .
    but give it your best shot . [ I need the constructive critisisim ]
    and yes, I do think I've designed such a system :D

2. BillyDoc

BillyDoc Senior Member

Globaldude,

I have a lot of experience with IP and let me give you some free advice about it:

First, and most important, you will NOT sell your IP to any major company. Land could not sell his "instant" photography (the experts all said it wouldn't work), Carlsen could not sell the xerographic technique (the experts all said it wouldn't work), the electric starter for cars, self-adjusting brakes (same expert opinion) . . . I could go on and on. The problem is, the "experts" always know all the ways something won't work and can very rarely get past this point of view. There is also the matter of amortizing the cost of existing tooling when new tooling is usually required for a new product (a legitimate problem in my opinion). Another issue inventors are usually unaware of is the practice of major corporations in an oligarchic relationship, like the American auto industry, of signing cross-licensing agreements. A cross-licensing agreement means that if any member of the industry obtains new IP, they all share it. In other words, there is then no incentive for any of them to obtain new IP. All of which strongly suggests that to actually get your idea into production you have to have the means to do it yourself, one way or another. Of the products mentioned above, every one but self-adjusting brakes was produced by the inventor. The self-adjusting brakes patent ran out, and then was adopted. The inventor got negative bucks for that one.

Second point: should you be foolish enough to persist, you need to seek patent protection and you need to thoroughly understand what that means. The odds are that you can do this yourself. Patent law is currently very much in transition and by the time you get yourself up to speed on current law it may be moot, but nevertheless get the most recent copy you can of "Patent it yourself" by David Pressman (Nolo press, http://www.nolo.com) and read it carefully before proceeding down this path. I have received ten patents that I did myself using information from this book, and even defended one in court against a covey of lawyers from a major corporation --- and won.

And good luck to you on your new idea. A means of righting a cat that can be implemented for $100 sounds like a winner to me, it it works. I just hope it's simple enough that you can do that "implement" part.

BillyDoc

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Dude.......take it to the marketing forum...

It doesn't matter if this is a workable idea, your problem is to get someone to pay you for an idea....very difficult. But it's just a marketing problem that has nothing to do with boats.

Self-righting multihulls? It's been done...go through 30 years of Multihulls Magazine back issues and AYRS journals and you will find all kinds of systems for righting after capsize. None has been popularly adopted, whether folks had to pay for the idea or not.

4. Seafarer24

Seafarer24 Sunset Chaser

I thought they just decided to design cruising cats to lose the mast before they fly a hull?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.