Oxalic Acid

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Monkey, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Monkey

Monkey New Member

Hi

I am currently restoring a boat which has badly discouloured (i.e. pretty much black) wood due to water ingress beneath the varnish. I am trying to get hold of some oxalic acid to try and sort this problem - Does anyone know where I can get hold of it in the UK?

2. tschienque

tschienque Junior Member

3. B. Hamm

B. Hamm Junior Member

Most any decent drug store has oxalic acid, you'll probably have to ask for it. It's sold in crystaline form mixed with water. Works pretty well, though isn't fast.

Bill H.

4. Robert Miller

Robert Miller Junior Member

I too have black stains (very black) on a spruce mast where water tracked beneath the varnish. I fear these stains are not just on the surface, but penetrate deeply enough that sanding would remove too much material.

To anyone who has tried straight oxalic acid solution:
    1. How well does it work?
    2. How deeply does it penetrate?
    3. Can wood having been stained to black (presumably due to microbial action), and then treated in this manner, be considered to have maintained most of its strength at these regions?

Thanks for any help here.

Best,
    Robert

5. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Oxalic acid does indeed work. It does not always completely remove the stain but will reduce it considerably. We make a solution with water, brush it on and leave it to dry for a day. Some times we do this treatment 2 or 3 times for decent results. It does not penatrate very deeply and probably only affects the top 1/16 th inch(1.5mm) of wood. Clean the area well before varnishing. You'll find also that the grain is raised and fuzzy and will require a little sanding
    As to those stains on your spruce spar, those are often first signs indicating fresh water ingress via fastenings and fittings which lead to rot and corruption very quickly. Usually you can guess where the water is entering by looking just uphill from the stain. You need to deal with it sooner rather than later or suffer some nasty consequences.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.