GRP Diesel tanks ?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grpqueen, Jun 11, 2010.

1. grpqueen

grpqueen Junior Member

Has anyone fabricated diesel tanks in GRP ?
    Are there any adverse reaction's between the two ?
    Will the GRP break down over time or spoil the fuel ?

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

That should be no problem at all.

I store large amounts of diesel (heating oil) in PVC containers and even then there is no reaction. Cured polyester is much more stable than thermoplastics, it is virtually inert.

1 person likes this.
  3. grpqueen

grpqueen Junior Member

thanks CDK. thats exactly what i wanted to hear.

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

Epoxy or vinyl are good for this. Poly shud be iso (not ortho) but all need resin coating well the interior, i.e., when you make your male mold, gelcoat (gelcoat is an iso), resincoat, THEN start laying up. Devoe makes a tank liner that is epoxy that works well.

5. capt littlelegs

capt littlelegs New Member

Have you considered the fire risk on board and possible osmosis over time? Far safer and easier with a metal tank although amazingly the BSS allow it I'd check that your insurance and use at sea covered it, normally all fuel materials have to be fireproof. There's nowhere to go in an onboard fire! I've seen a houseboat go up because of a plastic tank melting and spreading burning fuel, it could have been saved if it had been steel!

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.com/downloads/BSS_Guide_chap2.pdf

6. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

There is a huge difference between Epoxy and plastic fuel tanks Littlelegs.

Grp, fiberglass works well for diesel tanks. It has been used for years without problem.

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I'd make sure to check with the resin supplier to ensure that you're using a resin suitable for fuel tanks. Some aren't. But there's nothing inherently wrong with GRP tanks (provided they're made from appropriate resins), they can be shaped to fit just about any space without huge cost premiums, and they don't suffer from corrosion problems.

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

As mentioned by Mark, Epoxy, Vinylester or isophtalic Polyester are the resins to use (in this order), and you will have to coat the tank anyway. There are no probs with EP and most VE formulations, Poly must be specified for that application, as Matt said.

Build a proper access and baffles as you would do on metal tanks.

The fire hazard is not different from a metal tank. It is not the fuel that burns, it is the gas it produces, and that is never ignited in the tank but in the ambience. Once a fire occurs, it does not bother much which structure it destroys, and a perfect heat conductor like metal (Aluminium is the best) can even be a disadvantage in those cases.

And osmosis on a GRP tank has to be seen yet, a really mad comment......

So, do what you plan, but choose proven materials!

Regards
    Richard

9. capt littlelegs

That's obvious but GRP can still burn well and then it can't contain the fuel and adds it to the fire unlike steel! If it's thin and poorly built of any size it can flex and crack and unless very well made they do leak and make a hell of a mess, I've seen a number of poor attempts. They are only resistant to diesel to a limit and eventually need changing so they do have problems. I can't see any benefit over stainless steel but each to his own I suppose.

1 person likes this.
  10. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Whatever materials you choose, it is always possible to find a fabricator capable of turning it into garbage. Tanks of all shapes, sizes and materials fall apart all the time, both on land and afloat, simply because they weren't built and/or installed very well. Many decades ago, someone decided that steel was an acceptable material for underground heating oil tanks; millions upon millions of dollars are still being spent to clean up the resulting messes.

If we operate on the assumption that the tank will be correctly built to recognized industry standards by a competent fabricator, and installed similarly, the fire, corrosion and deterioration problems can be easily avoided.

11. M-Sasha

M-Sasha Guest

What a mad idea? A tank adds to the fire by the property of it´s material?

When have you ever done anything in boating or yacht construction?

You own a barge right?

Go sailing...................

Sasha

ohh, I will reduce your reputation points to another extend.

1 person likes this.
  12. Herman

Herman Senior Member

I have seen many GRP tanks, whether for water or diesel. When constructed well, they should last a lifetime.

Please do your utmost to create a tank that is up to the job. Keep in mind that a half-full tank has a lot of fluid that bounces up and over, so make baffles, and make the walls such that they are up to the job.

Inside, make sure your seams are all filleted and taped. This can be a bit awkward for the top seams, so make a generous inspection hatch. (which also needs coating). Coat the interior with a suitable coating (if polyester, one can use ISO, ISO-NPG or VE topcoat, or a 100% solids epoxy coating). If epoxy, use an aforementioned epoxy coating.

One small side step: For potable water the same construction can be used, with 2 comments: potable water tanks should be isolated from other tanks. There should be a space in between. Second, use a suitable coating for potable water. Some epoxies are good for that, but definately not all of them. Also each country has its own regulation and certification for that.

This should also be capable of holding biodiesel.

So in short, make sure the laminate is of high quality, and apply coatings very well.

As for a fire: If the situation is such that the laminate of a tank is completely eaten away, perhaps it is best that the whole boat goes.

13. capt littlelegs

Ha ha, I've spent a lot of time fixing problems that builders and designers have made a mess of and just leave for someone else to deal with! Do you follow up all your boats? No of course not, you don't give a **** when they've gone. You make silly presumptions about me, I've been in the marine business amongst others for thirty years and I'm still fixing your problems and don't we get a lot of them, thank you!

The idea of non combustible fuel containment and remote fuel shut off is to prevent it feeding a fire so that it can be controlled! Comments about letting it burn are stupid and irresponsible and just shows how out of touch you are or perhaps I'm touching a nerve here! You Sasha obviously have no marine fire safety regulation in your country so I won't need reminding not to buy your substandard boat! Actually at the last count I had ten boats includind a barge! Bring on the neg rep I'm going for a record! LOL :D

14. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Careful M-Sacha, he stings like a scorpion.

One of our forum members signs with: "Don't argue with an idiot. He drags you down to his level, then beats you with experience".

15. capt littlelegs

Hey you hit me I hit you back, that's fair! Anyway I like to see pompous fools with steam coming out their ears LOL. :D

That's not true, if you're more intelligent and knowledgable than the idiot, he can't beat you as you well know! :D Sorry, that wasn't nice to describe your condition that way. :(