laying up a foam cored transom

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by brokensheer, Jun 13, 2009.

1. brokensheer

brokensheer Senior Member

greetings fellow glass monkeys, I am about to start to layup a hull from a virgin mold, the N/A called for a foam cored transom H130 PVC core. I have build hatch lids with foam core but nothing I was getting ready to hang a 200hp outboad from.
    Please give me your thoughts, also someone recomended coosa for the core but I don't think its near what H130 is, Please help, should I use a putty to bed it vacuum bag it???

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hello lookup this thread:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/fiberglass-composite-boat-building/balsa-really-bad-27761.html

Post # 8

And leave the core hype!

Regards
    Richard

3. lymanwhite

lymanwhite Junior Member

I too am doing a transom for a similar outboard. I think an epoxy laminate of 4 each 1/2 inch marine ply and biax glass and maybe some biax carbon would be pretty strong, and safe, if the install was also beefy ( lots of fillet, overlapping tapes, and gusset work. I am planning to bag and heat the part too. Looking at manufactured skiff transoms I like the 1/4 X 2 1/2 in ss backing plates on the inside of the transom as motor mounts, and the top channel or cap in ss also.