Foam core an sandwich logics. Put me on the right track..

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by sailingdaniel, Jul 16, 2011.

1. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

2. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I will write some of what Ed Horstman says in his book ( Foam Fiberglass Sandwich Construction).Structurally speaking if you double the thickness of the foam you obtain approximately 4 times the bending strength and approximatly 8 times less deflection. Structully it is best to use a thicker material first and a higher density second if in doubt. Never go below 4lb density. Add 10% to the outer laminate to compensate for the extra abuse it receives Structurlly both surfaces carry basicly the same load but theouter is subject to abuses like scratches. rick

3. sailingdaniel

sailingdaniel Junior Member

Two more good advice.. Thanks rberrey and idkfa..

I might be able to get some of the books in Southafria , here in Mauritius i cant..

RXcomposit . I have sent u a message aboute a frend that might want to build a Cat in Phillipines, Not sure if that would be interesting to u?