Fn > 1: Displacement effects on performance and maneuvering?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by oldbitd, May 13, 2010.

1. oldbitd

oldbitd New Member

Assuming:

1. Planing speeds
    2. Infinite power

I am researching high speed vessels and maneuvering capabilities and I am looking for advice/previous research on how increasing displacement effects a planing hull. I am particularly interested in Beam/Disp^(1/3) effects on planing vessels, ie

At constant Fn number, how does the same vessel with a high Beam Disp ratio perform relative to a vessel with a low Beam Disp Ratio?

I assume higher trim, deeper draft, but any more specifics especially regarding steady turning. All help is greatly appreciated.

2. Alik

Alik Senior Member

These diagrams show effect of chine beam Bc on resistance R, for two displacements, for 10m powerboat.

Attached Files:

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Get a copy of the Series 62 and Series 65 planing data (Most of it is condensed in Principles of Naval Architecture). FWIW, I really don't see how normalizing data on Beam/Disp^(1/3) will be of any use. With a constant displacement, varying the beam also requres a change in deadrise, length, or both; and those two factors will be of more influence than beam. Especially on maneuvering.

4. oldbitd

oldbitd New Member

Alik, can you tell me the source of this graph, it is useful. Cheers

5. Alik

Alik Senior Member

This is pre-design study for one of our designs. Calculation done by Savitsky method.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.