Hydraulic Steering 4 Kicker

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by bungelow_ed, Mar 7, 2007.

1. bungelow_ed

bungelow_ed Junior Member

Hi, I hope this post is appropriate in this sub-forum.

During a fishing trip in Alaska the guide's boat was rigged to use the main engine's hydraulic steering to steer the kicker. The only thing I know about the setup was they used a valve to determine which engine was steered. Does anyone know where I might find information on how to rig my boat in the same manner? I have hydraulic steering, but no experience with modifying hydraulics.

Thanks, Bungelow_ed

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Do you have a pressurized system? If you do it will be a bit more complicated. Also, because of the valving, it creates more failure possiblities. Can you describe the setup in your boat?

3. bungelow_ed

bungelow_ed Junior Member

Hi Gonzo,
    It's a Teleflex Seastar working with an Optimax 225. The kicker is a 9.9 Mercury Bigfoot. Both a mounted on an extended transom bracket. Let me know if you need more details.
    Thanks, Ed

4. RMSOSF

RMSOSF Junior Member

You will need a balanced hydraulic steering ram setup for the kicker, 4 hose asseblies that will reach both motors from where you plan on putting the valves and two three way valves (or one double three way valve) capable of flowing hydraulic fluid and a minimum burst of 1500 psi. You have two hoses reaching the engine, they will either be one piece from the helm or have two through-transom/splashwell connectors. If they are one piece, take them off the engine and attach to the commn port on each valve (if they are hooked to a through transom/splashwell connector, disconnect fro the connector inside the boat) paying attention to which side of the cylinder they came off of. Run the new hoses to the engine and the kicker (one from each valve) making sure the hoses go to their respective sides on the cylinders. Bleed the system out and your'e ready to go.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.