Flywheel not turning stuck

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by mlopez0519, Mar 28, 2015.

1. mlopez0519

mlopez0519 Junior Member

I tried turning on the boat today, but the flywheel seems to be stuck and therfore engine didn't start. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I take it this is the old V4 Evinrude ? The flywheel cannot be turned (clockwise !) with your hands ? Not at all ?

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I had that problem with an old Sea King 2 stroke. I solved it with a length of pine and a hammer. I set the end of the board in the teeth of the flywheel at a nearly tangential angle in the direction it was supposed to turn and tapped the other end with a hammer until the flywheel worked itself free.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mr Efficiency

I was not clear as to whether the starter hasn't the ability to crank the engine, because of battery or starter problems, or the engine is seized.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A screw driver on the flywheel teeth is typical, pull the plugs first. I wouldn't force it with a hammer, as you'll just tend to break stuff (knuckles first usually). A locked up engine is cause for serious concern, so run through the basics first, such as checking the starter drive. Now this can be cured with a healthy shot from a hammer, to un-freeze a worn out and stuck Bendix. The better option is to remove the plugs and starter, so the only thing that can prevent the engine from turning is something frozen to something, like rings rusted to cylinder walls or broken cranks.

6. CDK

CDK retired engineer

With the plugs removed, spray plenty of penetrating oil in the cylinders, wait at least half an hour, then proceed as hoytedow describes. Work in both directions until the flywheel moves.

Next autumn put some oil in the cylinders before you store the engine!

1 person likes this.
  7. Mr Efficiency

It seems likely that saltwater ingress has occurred, if that is the situation it is a pull-down job, and likely not worth repairing. Once rust forms on the crank journals, it is goodnight !

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

After I freed the flywheel I got several more years out the previously dis-used engine. I only used light taps on wood until it moved. The hammer never touched the flywheel.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.