3D From 2D

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Windship277, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Windship277

Windship277 Previous Member

Hi all,
    New here, just joined.
    Ive been yacht repair now for 25 yrs, have worked for Alden, Hunt, and have built a Duffy 37 from hull and deck plus 3 boatyards. I know a little about boats. Anyway..hello all.
    I now live in the mountains and design and build R/C model plugs for hulls and decks. However plans for modern yachts are almost non existent. I can easily draw station and profile...so...how do I get sections?

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Are you asking how to design a hull shape?

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

If you have plan view and elevation views drawn to scale, the drawings include waterlines, buttock lines, and/or diagonals you can easily measure station configurations. You then develop your own table of offsets and you are good to go.

If all you have is pictures or outline drawings there is no way to convert those lines to reliable station measurements.

If you want oldie goldie drawings you can go to the US government Printing Office, Washington D.C.

For Whaling ships, and many small boats, Try Mystic (Conn) museum. For Vintage work boats and fishing boats, Manatee Maritime Museum, Bradenton, Fla.) If you want McGregor 65s or some such .... I think you are out of luck. Some cool designs, such as the EC12 specifications are available from American Model Yachting Association, AMYA for RC people. The EC12 is a model of the Charlie Morgan Americas Cup boat that he campaigned in the 70s. It is a helluva nice working RC boat, and there are a lot of them, even in places like New Zealand, and fiercely contested across the U.S. It is also a very tightly ruled class and allows only class approved hull builders. There are Lightnings, Lasers, Stars, and other established RC classes., All of which are tightly, and perhaps, jealously restricted for hull builders.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you can draw stations, then you already are drawing sections, unless you're referring to erecting station perpendiculars (simply vertical lines). Look up "orthographic" projection to get an idea what this basic form of drafting is all about.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The stations he referred to must be evenly spaced vertical lines, but I can understand why there is a dearth of openly available lines drawings with offsets tables, for popular modern boats, they don't want their designs being pinched !

6. Windship277

wow...thank you for the replies.
    What Im looking for are plans of modern Carolina style or Hatteras, Post etc sport fish and Down east boats, no sailboats yet. I have called manufacturers, expecting to get the answer i got so, no surprise there. Bruce Roberts will sell but Im not crazy about that hybrid look of traditional and modern combined.
    Yes, Im talking about simple vertical station lines. I can do a keel and bulkheads, height and width but no sections. I can get the shape needed with work and time...but Im gettin tired of that way.

7. W9GFO

W9GFO Senior Member

Have you considered 3D scanning? 123D catch, an Autodesk program, can use a series of photos to produce a 3d model.

Once you have the 3D model you can easily slice it to get stations, waterlines and buttock lines.

8. Windship277

ok, might be happening. TY. Ill check it out.

9. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I do not know what you call "station" but, for instance, with the same profile and the same deck, you can get infinite different hulls. So, if I understand correctly, you'll need something more to deduct the sections. If you can explain better what you have, maybe I could help.
    If I've got it all wrong, I beg your pardon.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.