Small sailboat competition

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jelfiser, Oct 24, 2008.

1. jelfiser

jelfiser Senior Member

Hi to all,
    My univeristy is going to build up a 4.6 meters boat for a competition and i've to define geometry of the hull.
    the rule are the basically the following

crew 2
    max lenght 4.6m
    max beam 2.1m
    max depth 1.10m
    min weight of hull without acessories 80 kg
    bowspirit 1.5 m
    height mast 7.2m (only one spreader)
    max sail area upwind 16 sq mt
    total sailarea 33 sq mt

the extimated wind will be no more than 18 kn and wawe no more than one meter

I've done some preliminary sketces i'm going to post , i would like to know your opinion and advices

also i would ask wich kind of sofware may I use for analysis on that kind of boat ( michelet ? cfd? )

That will be the firsth boat built on my design .... so I' m really worried it has to go welll

2. jelfiser

jelfiser Senior Member

Parameters

By research i was oriented to a small bwl , let's say no more than one meter
    Cp between 0.56-0,59 , small half angle of entrance ( let's say about 10 deg )
    Lcb quite aft, due to the weight of the crew it seems difficoult be coerent to delft series.
    I forgot , i want optimize upwind performances

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.