flush mount transducer

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by dockdave, May 31, 2008.

1. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Sticking the transducer to glass works fine until you want to do something with it, its kinda permanent. At least with a properly done wet box you can swap it out easily if you want to upgrade, replace or even just try a different cone angle. Its more effort but its a little more flexible.

2. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Hmmm food for thought.Thanks Tom,sounds a quick & easy method.
    If you want to use th electronic log though I need it in the flow.
    Also I have read that you have to have a more powerful sounder to go thru the hull? (FRP) My hull is only 2mm thick and the paddle wheel will not be affected. But I will have to build up the (socket) with extra glass. The sounder is a Furuno LS4100 and only 300W rms.
    And I will glass in a couple of bronze nuts with greased thread inserted so I
    can have added security of a backing plate.
    Actually,thanks mate! That a gem of a way to do it. Thinking aloud here as the coffee kicks in.

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

The transducer set in a thin film of silicone is removable, especially if you are a gorilla:D

I find a good GPS to be more accurate in many cases than a paddle wheel. I have both on one boat and am often surprised at how much surface current there is that makes for error on a paddle wheel.

4. Roly

Roly Senior Member

I find a good GPS to be more accurate in many cases than a paddle wheel. I have both on one boat and am often surprised at how much surface current there is that makes for error on a paddle wheel.[/QUOTE]

I need both.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.