Florida Shantyboat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Florida_mariner, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Florida_mariner

Florida_mariner Junior Member

2. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Proper job

Hoi,

Good work, i like to see shantylike boats on the water disturbing the usual view of plastic clones floating around.

3. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

Brilliant job! what are you using for flotation? a hull? styrofoam? both?

4. VKRUE

VKRUE Just another boat lover

Shanty Boat ? Pretty cool :)

Have never seen a shanty boat... looks really good.
    Where did you get the plans ?
    Please, tell us more about your project !
    The cost... Problems you may have encountered in the project... ect.

Great job :D :D :D

5. Florida_mariner

thanks for the bravo zulu everybody...sorry it took me a bit to get back...

irt floatation...

I am using swim noodles cut into size for various locations...I was able to cut this stuff to fit each area I wanted it in....very light,bouyant,closed cell and cheap...that and the hull design (watertight bulkheads and modular design) are my flotation attempts..I had some plastic sealed bottles in strategic places but they rattled and were in the way when accessing certain areas and seams...I have in mind to get a bilge pump as well JIC...

irt plans...they were in my head...devised over a couple years of thinking and drawing...I knew my trailor sailer 21' clipper marine was way too small in the cabin and I was tired of bumping my head all the time so I decided a shantyboat was a good Idea...I still have a Florida Sharpie sailboat I built
    last year to satisfy my rag hanging addiction..:)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/St_Augustine_Florida_Sharpies/

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/projects/sharpie/index.cfm

you can see build pics and it on the water here or in a Duckworks piece from a while back...

irt cost...I haven't totaled my rec'ts yet...I do know I paid 1500 for the new performance skiff trailer...I hope to get those together and add 'em up soon...then I will know what to seriously consider on bids for this boat...:)
    I know stainless and wood and resins have went up a lot in the last couple years!!!

as for problems encountered...nothing huge or major fortunately..the minor re-do's and set backs were not much in terms of cost thankfully as well...realistically I think ruined materials and do-overs were kept under 100 bucks...I'm feeling good about that...I had thought a lot of this thru for sometime before I started and I spent considerable time late nights going thru possibilities and making drawings before cutting and drilling...the modular design was mostly due to limited inside building space and I did figure it was a good idea to have watertight bulkheads...something I remembered from my days with Uncle Sam's Canoe Club...(USN) :) compartmentation...gotta love it...

I am contemplating building another smaller Shantyboat of a punt type design this winter providing I can make room...I also have a design I have been working on for a 'truck boat'...a small Sharpie I can load in my truck bed and launch anywhere..been w/o a truck boat since back in the winter when I sold my Dory I built back in like '01...

beam is about 8'3" length is 24'+...main cabin is 11x7 with standing headroom for me at 6'1"...this is obviously a calm water boat but it sits in the water nicely and feels very stable...my only real drawback is that it has ended up
    bigger than I really needed...thus my idea for the punt...

this Boat while not a show piece in any way,and does show that I'm not a master boatwright for sure,does seem very solid,functional and roomy...

anybody who wants more detailed info feel free to contact me

florida_mariner1@yahoo.com

6. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

so waht do you mean by swim noodles and what hull design is it?

7. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

how many swim noodles are you using?

8. Florida_mariner

swim noodles are those cylindrical shaped long colorful floats used in pools and the beach...light,highly flexible and closed cell...

how many?...you know I didn't count but it was a big ol bunch...I still have a few left over and may add some more later I found them in 3 and 4" diameter...cut to size and secured with waterproof const adhesive...

hull design can be checked out by the pics at my shantyboat group or the duckworks piece...

thanks for the intrest...

9. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

approxomately more than 20,20, less than 20. 50 more than fifty less than fifty etc...................

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.