Florida members

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by duluthboats, Sep 10, 2004.

1. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

:D It’s good to see a post from gozo and PAR now we know you still have a PC to work from. I hope all is well with you guys and the others in Florida.

Gary :D

2. TheFisher

TheFisher Junior Member

We're starting to dry out but now we have to watch out once again. :mad:

3. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Here in St. Augustine we took a glancing blow from H. Frances and Charley. We lost branches and leaves, and were without power in our neighborhood for 31 hours after Frances, but there are still large areas in town without power and phones, even today (Sat.).

We are all watching H. Ivan--we don't need another one. I just moved down here a year ago today, and I did not expect to see so many hurricanes all at once--this area is supposed to be immune to them, thanks to the bight in the coastline between Daytona and Cape Hatteras. If we get hit by Ivan, that will be 3 hurricanes in a month or so, and that is the same number as I experienced in 24 years in Newport, RI! Welcome to Florida!!!

See any of you at IBEX in Miami Beach at the end of October. I am presenting two lectures: one on sailboat keel and rudder design and engineering, and another on an overview on my Moloka'i Strait line of motoryachts.

Eric

4. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Wish I could be there for that one. Beautiful design. Some day, if I get those *#@! lotto numbers right! :D

5. dvgale

dvgale Boats_4_People

I can safely assume IBEX is not impacted by Frances? Miami appeared not to have taken the brunt of the storm, but I had some concern about registering a couple of weeks ago before Frances hit. I am truly looking forward to the show and meeting some fellow posters F2F! :D

Also hoping to take a couple of days to hit the Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show. Whether ProBoat planned this or not after the change from the February dates, the strategic scheduling of IBEX just before the Boat Show is an excellent idea. :idea: :idea:

Best wishes to all in Florida. I'm looking forward possibly to moving there myself one day to advance my career!

Don Gale
    South Salem

6. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Thank God we don't have that kind of weather here in Europe (although BMWOracle, Alinghi and Emirates NZ may now think Mediterranean storms are more than enough!)

IBEX in Miami Beach is too far away for me, but your two lectures sound interesting. Will there be any papers published?

7. Eric Sponberg

Sorenfdk,

IBEX does not produce written papers, but we authors are expected to produce handouts. These tend to be diagrams and summaries with mostly pictures and not much text. I don't know how useful they would be. My handouts (just finished) include a lot of diagrams of design examples. Each one runs about 40 pages. We authors maintain control and can send them out at our own discretion. I could send you a copy after the IBEX conference if you are interested. Can you send me any good Danish beer in return?

Eric

8. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Now I remember - it was the same when they tried to introduce IBEX in Europe a couple of years ago. Prominent speakers (among them Mark Mills and Merf Owen) talking about interesting subjects, but no papers (not even handouts!)
    But if you would be so kind as to e-mail me your handouts, I'll be glad to look into the beer - I do that regularly ;) However, I'm not sure if they'll survive the journey...

9. Eric Sponberg

Sorenfdk,

Unfortunately, the handouts are not in a single computer document--they are only printed in hard copy. It would be best if I get an extra set at IBEX and snail mail it to you. I also do not want to release it before IBEX. Send me your mailing address and I'll be sure to get it to you. You can email me directly if you wish. You don't really have to send some beer, but if you could recommend a good dark Danish beer, I might be able to find it here. Carlsburg comes to mind, is that not Danish?

Eric

10. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

You can send the papers by snail-mail to this adress:

CDE Danish Marine Design
    Att.: Søren Flening
    Wilders Plads 8A
    DK-1403 Copenhagen K
    DENMARK

I guess sending beer across the ocean would ruin both the beer and my economy, but if you ever come to Denmark, I'll be happy to buy you one (or more...)

Carlsberg is probably the best known Danish beer, so you should be able to find it somewhere. And as they have sponsored a lot of international sailing events, we should support them too, I think. It's just that I'm not much of a Carlsberg-man myself, so...
    You should also be able to get hold of Tuborg Beer, which is much better, if you ask me.
    And if you should ever come across a beershop with a really huge assortment, then look for Refsvindinge (especially their AZ Ale no. 16), Thisted (Thy Classic), Hancock (Dark Gambrinus) or Oerbaek (they even have a Halloween Ale - at night, all beer is dark, they say!).
    But don't try to pronounce the names of these breweries until you have tasted their products ;)

What was this thread originally about? And why am I suddenly feeling so thirsty?

Looking forward to the papers :)

11. Eric Sponberg

Soren,

I have copied your address and will send you the handouts after IBEX. I recognize Tuborg beer, so I will look for that. We also have a restaurant here in St. Augustine that boasts over 170 brands of beer, so I will look for the others. Thanks. Time for a beer.

Eric

12. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

So now I’m thirsty also, Eric if you were to go to Europe I could recommend the Tuborg, but for some reason the stuff they sell in the states tastes different and is not good, IMHO.

I have observed that Florida is fast becoming the center for boat building in the US. With that in mind and the urge to start a new career I have been looking and planning my retirement. After a few trips I had the wife convinced, she tells me the other day that Florida is now off the list, and it sounded like she meant it. So the hunt is back on, she likes heat, I like boats, Texas maybe. Let’s see where Ivan goes.

Gary

13. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

I don't know why, but most american beer tastes like if it's half beer, half water.
    If you go to Europe do try the original Budweiser - you won't regret it! If in Italy, try Menabrea, officially declared the best draught beer in the world!

14. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Looking foreward to seeing you! We have both here, and haven't had a major hurricane since '70 (tick tick tick......) :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.