floral foam

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by brokensheer, Jun 18, 2010.

1. brokensheer

brokensheer Senior Member

I have heard that the green foam used in the florist undustry will not react with polyester resin can anyone confirm this

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

True, it is a phenolic, but it is relatively expensive as well. You are better off using EPS foam or even PU foam.

EPS foam can be coated with epoxy, or even with polyester when sprayed on in light mist coats, or with a polyester called "EPS-Coat" which is available in The Netherlands from Brands Structural Products.

3. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

I bought some for a dollar out of desperation when I had to patch a dinghy. The stuff worked beautifully!

Attached Files:

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

For the exact application, I once used a (free) newspaper and a piece of tape. Worked wonders as well, and saved me a dollar! :)

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

Tinhorn, I follow you in the first and second pics - what are we looking at in the third? What are the white pieces?

6. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Rats. I'll never get that dollar back.

The third pic is out of sequence--I patched the edges of the boat separately from the corner. The while strips are cheap plastic trim from Lowe's. REAL tightwads would probably use rolled-up newspaper.

Sheesh--in reviewing my pictures, they're in exact bass-ackwards order.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  7. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Yep, real tightwads would.

Nearby there was a company using a lot of polyester resin. I bought it cheap there. They had a 20 liter (5 gallon) pail, which they filled for me. They did not have the lid, however. So I was driving around with an upen bucket of polyester resin... Did not go wrong, luckily...

8. Lurvio

Lurvio Mad scientist

I bought the first patch of polyester for my little boat project. The guy gave it to me in a 10 liter plastic bucket. I didn't want that in my car so we taped a plastic shopping bag on top as a lid. :p

The floral foam is designed to absorb water, so don't leave it in the boat. :)

L

9. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

I would have taped newspaper over the top of the bucket.

10. Herman

Herman Senior Member

You guys are just so smart! Never thought of that.

Oh, I mixed my first batch in a coffeecup...

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

Proost!:D

12. Herman

Herman Senior Member

there was not even time for "proost" as the cup melted away just after i mixed in the hardener...

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Polistirene coffee cup ? Rinse it with petrol first next time :D That'll get you melting !

You get some PE clossed cell foams that works with polyester. Easy to work with and will add a bit of booyancy, but not as cheap as newspaper or those floral foams. Good grief... newspaper ?

I get scared sometimes when I see what some people go on the water with. 'Saving' a couple of $ doesn't help much if you get in trouble. Buy those closed cell PE foam sheets and glue them inside the boat. They are nice to the touch, great insulation features, different colours and most of all, whan the paw-paw hits the fan you live to tell.

14. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Newspaper has the same structural value as flora foam. However, with a bit of packing tape and creativity it lends itself for temporary molds.

Another nice solution that I saw was a plumber that needed to solder a connection in a water pipe. The pipe kept leaking water, however. He took a slice of white bread, kneaded it into a ball, and jammed it in the pipe. This stopped the leaking, and he was able to make a nice joint. The water pressure after opening the main valve washes away the bread.

On newspaper again: I have seen boats being reinforced by rolled newspaper, with laminate over them.
    For trailer moulds for dinghyes I used the foam tubes they sell for insulating water pipes. Cut them in half, and they make a nice former for a stiffener. Never had any problems, but I must admit the application was very low-tech.

15. brokensheer

brokensheer Senior Member

I have to make a plug of an object that has curved sides I am not familiar with the abv. Herman. this is a carolina/florida style console pod.