Flooring

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gerhern, Sep 25, 2007.

1. gerhern

gerhern New Member

New to boating, just bought an '82 Hammond. It has a few soft spots on the floor. Should I remove entire old floor, or would plywood (covered with fiberglass) suffice over entire area as new floor?
    Thanks!
    gerry
    gerhern@verizon.net

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You've got to replace the entire floor if you're finding soft spots all over the place.
    If I read yopu right, you are asking if you can simply cover the old floor with new plywood and glass.
    That would be a mistake for many reasons--- unless you are only expecting to nurse the boat along for a season or two.
    No, there's no good alternative to complete replacement of at least medium-sized sections of glass and ply. One reason is that any softness underfoot is often the tip of the iceberg. What supports the floor (or, more properly, sole or deck)---- frames and stringers----- has been encased in the same area and subject to the same conditions----- soaked flotation foam, mold, etc..
    Ideally, if the boat has enough worth to you, you would excavate and replace all damaged wood and foam, using epoxy rather than polyester resin to build everything back to original strength.
    Maybe only the deck is involved. That would be nice, but there's only one way to tell, and that is to dig, poke, drill, prod, and generally biopsy the whole thing.

Alan

3. gerhern

gerhern New Member

Thanks for the heads-up, Alan. I bought this boat to work on during the winter season, and the more I search for help in this category the more I find that others are re-doing entire floors. I also have to re-do some of the wiring on this boat. I haven't looked yet, but I'm wondering if this has a fuse box/panel where everything's tied into. I'll have to see. Thanks again for the info!

gerry

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.