flooring & plug

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by smithsnok, May 3, 2009.

1. smithsnok

smithsnok New Member

I have just bought '86 vip 18'-8" ............the floor is week & I want to replace........any pointers on how to do job & BEST PLACE TO FIND DECKING & CARPET.........OH & THE OLD GUY I BOUGHT THE BOAT FROM NEVER PULLED THE PLUG......IT SHOULD COME OUT EVERY TIME AFTER BEING IN THE WATER CORRECT?
    I THINK I CAN DO THE FLOORING JUST SOME GOOD ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

The plug should always be removed when the boat is stored and the trailer is raised at the bow so any water will drain aft. Floor replacement has been covered here many times so check out the forum subject matter. You can do it and take pics or notes so you can rebuild the same way as originally was built. Make sure you have weep holes(limbers) for drainage thru any blocking member. Cover all wood with 3 coats of epoxy to make the wood waterproof.
    Use marine plywood or at the least a good grade of exterior plywood as these have waterproof glues.

3. smithsnok

smithsnok New Member

Thanks so much for the info

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.