Flooring Aesthetics

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Skua, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Skua

Skua Senior Member

I have come to the point of laminating the deck surface in the salon. Although I measured 50 times, cut, shimmed, leveled, and repeated, innumerable times, I still came up with a 2 sqf depression, 1/16 inch deep, with a gradual rise to the fair surface.

The planned finish is either a thin, light, wood laminate, with some texture, or a linoleum surface simulating the same. The wife's choice is something with a lighter color , like maple, or driftwood.

So the question is on a 9x8 ft deck how flat and fair is required to prevent the eye from picking up on surface defects.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

A vinyl with a matt appearance seems likely to hide imperfections. Or just use a filler to get rid of the depression, before covering.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yeah, the keen eye can pick up very subtle imperfections, so matt finish is a good recommendation. Also a "busy" grain (or other) pattern will help a lot too. Most folks will not notice, particularly if it's a faux wood look, but you will and it'll likely drive you nuts (well at least this sort of thing does me). A couple of quick smears with a 12" wide putty knife and some filler should do fine. You know, you're never really through with sanding anyway, though a statistically placed throw rug can do wonders too.

4. Skua

Skua Senior Member

I was hoping the answer was "nah, it'll be fine". LOL. The problem is it's right where the furnishings will stop and the walkway will be. So a hard edge to see it against. Oh well a tad more sanding and a spot of filler.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

:p If that doesn't work, a strategically placed one ! ;)

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.