Floor in tinny

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by philzero44, Jul 30, 2008.

1. philzero44

philzero44 Junior Member

I'm halfway through repainting an old 14ft quintrex runabout and now for the floor which I really need some help.I need to know what kind of wood to use for the frame work to support the floor,And what kind of plywood for the floor and how to fix it to the boat.Any input would be great.Thanks Phil.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The floor will go between the front seat and the back seat when I put it in .

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Phil,

Hard yakka painting a tinny eh!

Use alloy for the trensverse floor members and marine grade plywood for the sole. The ply must be primed, underfoated and painted on BOTH sides, using whatever you decide for a brand system. International is good.

You can also use a product called Everdure, it is an epoxy based antifungicidal primer, it soaks into the ply and certainly adds to the longevity. The Everdure is thinned for the first coat, as per the instructions on this web site if you cannot get anyother details.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/australia/default.asp

before painting the bare hull you have to etchprime alloy...no shortcuts in that game... see also Altex/Devoe paints NZ, they make great commercial surface coatings, very suitable for alloy...think it was 201 from memory.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.