Flooding keels on bertrams/hunts/haines

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jnmjude, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Jnmjude

Jnmjude Junior Member

Have just finished glassing new stringers into my hunt 18,
    But have found some info that says these originally had flooding keels.

When dismantling the poor "renovation" that was done previously there was no sign of a flood compartment in the centre line.
    Before i glass in the deck, is this something i should be putting back to add stability at rest, or are people not including such things in their repairs?

If im best putting it back in, what kind of height should the flood chamber be stopped at?

Thanks

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I would not bother, it is an unnecessary complication, the only one I've seen of the Hunt hulls with one, was a 15 footer, and even with some of those, they ditched it when re-built.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

This is a fishing boat commonly used by commercial line fishermen on the Great Barrier Reef, based on a slightly smaller ( 5 metre ) Hunt hull, no flooding chamber.
    101_0150.jpg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.